Supplier charging incorrect sales tax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyD

Reaction score
I had a weird experience with a supplier recently, and I'm not sure what further steps to take, so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

First of all, I work for a wholesale supplier in another industry, so I'm very familiar with sales tax in my state, resale certificates, etc. I ordered from this supplier that is in the same state as me, because even with the in-state sales tax, the shipping is cheaper so it all works out.

I ordered a very small amount from this supplier (only $6) but I was charged too much sales tax - 1.5% too much. On a small order like this one (just getting samples) it's only a few pennies, so it's not that big of a deal. If I like the samples I ordered, I will be making much larger orders, and that's where the extra 1.5% adds up.

I contacted them via email, and the answer I received was basically that they were charging the correct amount, and we could solve that problem altogether by sending them my resale certificate.

I'm a hobby soaper - I don't sell. But it seems like they should know how much tax to charge in their own state, right? I could solve my own problem by just not ordering from them, but I hate to think about all the trouble they might get into from the tax man, purely out of not knowing the regulations.

I thought about responding to them, in the interest of just helping someone out. I've been through a state tax audit at my current job, and believe me, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! If they get audited, they will be fined for EVERY instance of incorrect tax charges, no matter how small the errors are. I'm afraid, though, that it would be taken as if I were trying to tell them how to run their business, which I definitely am not!

Should I just leave it alone and let them learn their lesson the hard way, or should I send them one more email, tactfully letting them know that they are doing it wrong?

I would make contact with my local tax office & ask who was in the right. If you were I would then ask the tax office to notify that company they are making faudulent charges. You asked the supplier once nicely, that's about all the niceness I would give them. I would let the authorities handle it though.

Latest posts

Back