Senate Bill S.1014, the Personal Care Products Safety Act

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends who my market is. If it's a mass market, take anyone that has money sort of thing then I guess I would sell a bar of soap and just call it soap. However a guy/gal would have to make darned sure NONE of the marketing included anything about shaving.

Yes and concur.

I suppose the only argument I would make is that if I make a soap that fits their technical definition of "soap," that I could dual market as "soap" and "cosmetic," does the product and my manufacturing process really need to be regulated.

Moot discussion, I think, if the $100k and below limit precludes the cottage industry from being regulated.

All THAT being said, I hate the regulations and wish the gubmint would stick to things it does well like .. um ... gimme a second here, I'll think of something. :cool:
Why taxing and spending, of course. And getting large donations from rich folk. lol.

-Dave

Last edited:
I suppose the only argument I would make is that if I make a soap that fits their technical definition of "soap," that I could dual market as "soap" and "cosmetic," if the product and my manufacturing process really need to be regulated.
And that's a good example of where the consumer loses - you would choose/be forced to NOT use "one product" for both - you would have to split the product and treat each half differently. Instead of an educated consumer and good information, you get smoke and mirrors by regulation.

I think soapers here anyway are very proud of what they create as evidenced by the frustration that's often shared about the other soapers who do not care - pick any thread about the "other person at the farmer's market" as an example.
Hate to quote myself but it wasn't 30 minutes before a new thread was started that proves my point:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=514500#post514500

:clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup:

Jesus help us soap makers

So, in another group, it is being questioned since the bill says that "domestic" manufacturers and those making less than $100k/year are exempt. And also that "soap" isn't a cosmetic, so the bill is not aimed at us.

Anyone got an opinion on that comment?

SO I GUESS our sales have to be at 999.99 dollars. SMH.
can any of us get ahead .. these big companies that started when the nation was founded or lilttles after are so greedy

From the FDA website:

Possibility #4
If I make it using HP, add the shea as a constituent fat, and then saponify (but have made it with superfat so that leftover shea is present) and label it as soap, I've again made a product that falls outside the regulatory framework.

Actually, in this case, as long as you list it as "soap" it still falls under the regulation of soap and not a cosmetic. And as long as you dont call it moisturizing, you can still add the shea superfat after the cook and it will still be "soap" This is because the definition of soap is that the "bulk of the nonvolatile product consists of alkali salts of fatty acids" that's why liquid soap is still soap, even though it is mostly water because water is a volatile component of the product. You only find that out if you read the full wording of the law. Not just the summary.

" 1) The bulk of the nonvolatile matter in the product consists of an alkali salt of fatty acids and the detergent properties of the article are due to the alkali-fatty acid compounds; and

2)The product is labeled, sold, and represented only as soap.

(b) Products intended for cleansing the human body and which are not “soap” as set out in paragraph (a) of this section are “cosmetics,” and accordingly they are subject to the requirements of the act and the regulations thereunder. For example, such a product in bar form is subject to the requirement, among others, that it shall bear a label containing an accurate statement of the weight of the bar in avoirdupois pounds and ounces, this statement to be prominently and conspicuously displayed so as to be likely to be read under the customary conditions of purchase and use.

That is the full definition. What's odd that I didnt notice before is that it says soap should be labeled as soap and have the net wt. Interesting. I label all of my soaps anyway though so...

Last edited:
For anyone who sells/needs to label their soap carefully, or even for those who are interested in the whole FDA regulation topic, I *really* recommend Marie Gale's book on soap and cosmetic labeling. I think it is the best, clearest guide on this topic out there. Posting a link below, there may be an updated edition, check before you buy.

The only think that sucks about it is that I couldn't find a cheap/e-book version, always check b/c I buy so many books, and none of the usual suspects (Amazon/Powells/Barnes and Noble, etc) have them, you have to cough up the full amount. But if it is important to you, it is really worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Soap-Cosmetic-...rds=marie+gale
user_online.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, found this link on another board (thanks Irena/soapbuddy). It is from Marie Gale, and is a very good summary of the bill, hopefully it will clear up some questions about the parts that are most confusing. I encourage anyone who has questions to take the time to read it:

http://blog.mariegale.com/personal-care-products-safety-act/#more-1804

As I mentioned much earlier in this post, the Indie business network provided an extremely helpful conference call for soapers that went over the entire bill and cleared up a few misconceptions. That being said, I am still against the bill and have written to a senator. The call featured Anne Marie Faiola as well as a lobbyist (can't remember his name, but I believe he was a lawyer) who broke down the bill. It was about an hour, but extremely helpful. Here is the link to the breakdown:
http://www.indiebusinessnetwork.com/personal-care-products-safety-act-of-2015/
I believe you can still listen to a recorded version of the call, but I haven't located that. If you are interested in staying informed Anne Marie has a new group called COHE that is for soapers to stay involved in the political landscape. Hope this link helps:)
Best,
Anna Marie

Back