will this work?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made salt bars using pretty much the recipe you proposed and it's one of my favorite soaps. Go for it! I only use dendritic salt - not scratchy and smoother texture IMO

Thanks all I have nothing against lard I have used it in all my soaps so far. They are more bubbly than I want but that is probably due to the fact they all also contain coconut oil and or castor oil.

I will try my original tweaked a bit 15% cocoa / 15% shea / 60% olive / 10% rice bran (got the idea of rice bran from the link, thanks)

to compare as suggested I will do 10% cocoa/ 10% shea / 40% lard / 40% olive

both with the coconut milk powder.

I will report back how they turn out. I am only using a mix of cocoa and shea as I have both so they both need to be used up.

Last edited:
In this case, I would not use butters in the bar. I am generally anti saponified butters, but in this case I think it will still cause more trouble than it is worth.

If you want to use them up, make a lotion or body butter or something, but in a soap specifically for skin that you don't want to have any additional friction than is required, keep them out. The one with 30% butters might not have so much drag that it is noticable in normal use, but on this skin it might be a different story. Even 20% could anger the skin more than it helps.

is your son allergic to latex? if so, dont use shea butter unless you know for sure it doesnt irritate his skin.

is your son allergic to latex? if so, dont use shea butter unless you know for sure it doesnt irritate his skin.

thanks for that I don't know if he is allergic to latex not sure if he has ever come across it. I will put a tiny bit of shea on him to test for a reaction before I add it to soap.

Or don't use the butters at all - hardness and conditioning can be found elsewhere without the dragging and potential latex issues.

If the goal is to make a soap to help your son with his eczema then I would really forget the butters. If you want to use them up, use them in another recipe rather than this one

Latest posts

Back