How long have you been soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was assuming those were these pre-DOS soap, I don't see it at all. If wrong, I am kind of curious about what the post ones look like. I have kind of given up on DOS and soda ash, just hope that things will go well (which they usually will, plus ash can be planed and DOS is useable if not stinky.)

Been soaping about a year and a half. I think my favorite so far is one I call "Edward" from the twilight series cause I used sparkly mica in it and it shimmers like crazy. I don't know why it's posting upside down...

Edit - guess it's not once it posts

1429405194134.jpg

I've been soaping since 1996. Back when books about soap making still referred to the Internet as new-fangled. And back when your lye had to be calculated by math! But I did take some time off in the middle. I got back into it after my baby developed excema.
My favorite soap is a charcoal and clay soap with lots of avocado oil that does amazing things for my face.

Ooh, nice, nice swirl, Jules. Very Edward-ish :)

ETA: does the mica shimmer in the soap or just on top (can't tell in the picture)? Not sure if I commented this on this thread or another, but I always lose the shimmer in the body of the soap (and have tried various amounts and techniques.) I have seen some really nice shimmery mica threads *in* soaps others have posted and always wondered how they do it.

Last edited:
Sonya- I've said it before- that soap awesomely beautiful!

My favorite CP soap is my interpretation of Soapmaking 101's Heavenly soap with 2 off-set pencil lines. I had never, ever been able to achieve a good pencil line before this attempt (it's the blue one in the middle)

Thank you!

That's a beautiful soap, the mica line is gorgeous, like a vein in rock.

I did melt and pour years ago but have only been making soap from scratch for 2 days shy of a month. Will be a month on Tuesday.

I have only made a few batches (maybe 4?) but my favorite by far has been the one I made tonight, which was my first HP batch. CP just never seemed to come naturally for me. I know, I know, you need a LOT more than a few batches for something to feel natural, right? Well, that is what I would have said too, before tonight, but HP has changed my life. LOL. Seriously, from beginning to end, I just loved it and it seemed so much more up my alley. It seemed more intuitive and I don't know if I will go back to CP for a while. Ever since I used to do MP, I had a "thing" for HP soaps and would ogle them (on etsy and then on pinterest) in my spare time.

So glad I made the jump over from MP to CP/HP!

Last edited:

ETA: does the mica shimmer in the soap or just on top (can't tell in the picture)? Not sure if I commented this on this thread or another, but I always lose the shimmer in the body of the soap (and have tried various amounts and techniques.) I have seen some really nice shimmery mica threads *in* soaps others have posted and always wondered how they do it.

Check out Nuture's snowflake sparkle. It's pretty colorless on its own, but the sparkles actually show up inside of CP. I just add some to enhance whatever color I want sparkly. For sure, it's not as pronounced as on the top of a loaf, but it is there :)

For the original poster... I've been making CP just since August 2014. I make around one to two batches a week and am totally obsessed.

I started out making M&P and some B&B products.

Great thread this is...I made my first soap 4 months ago. I took a soap making class probably 6 years ago but it wasn't until this winter I got hooked...bad. I've been researching, learning, getting tempted by all the enablers active in this forum. I'm astonished by the talent you all have! I will say this, I've enjoyed the lion's share of my creations and love how my skin feels.My friends(read this as guinea pigs) are pleased as punch as well. Of course, there is that latest shaving soap thread and my Barbasol is running low in the can......

It actually does shimmer inside. Its really pretty. It didn't really change the color but it definitely added the shimmer throughout. It was actually a freebie from WSP, called ivory lace sparkle mica powder. The black is their black sparkle mica too. I wish I could capture the sparkle in a picture, they are really pretty.

4 years here.
And last night I've done first ever stupid thing with raw soap... smeared it somehow all over my right arm. Now I definitely know the definition of lye burn. :rolleyes:
I'm just happy I didn't get any in the eyes and on the furniture since the kids were still up and all around the kitchen after I finished with soaping.
As for the favourite creation... I don't know, I like them all. I'm really glad I found lovely recipe that I can stick to. Here are some of my creations from last 6-12 months. I don't have many, they all get used up.

IMG_0583 - Copy.jpg

fuzz-juzz - sorry about your arm! :( I hope it feels better quickly! Beautiful soap!

nframe - I think I watch too much American Horror Story, because your confetti/swirled soap reminded me of the season 1 promo poster with the Rubber Man hanging down over the pregnant lady. But then when everyone started mentioning octopuses and squids, I was like "Oh yeah, it looks like that too! What's wrong with me??"

I've been soaping for almost 6 years. My favorite has OO, CO, Palm, Avocado and Shea with activated charcoal and clay with tea tree and lemongrass. It's my go to facial bar after my salt bars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back