Hi from New Zealand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristinaN

Reaction score
Hello! I've been lurking for a month or two and just signed up today. I've been soaping for a few years and have just made the move into selling some of my soaps - also make lotion bars, bath bombs, and have a few other ideas I've been playing around with. I've sold a grand total of 6 soaps, lol!

I do CP soaps, started as a bit of a Castile-only nerd but have realised that perhaps not everyone wants *just* castile soap and some people might even want a fragrance (gasp!). So am branching out. Carefully...

Thanks for the welcome :)

We can start a castile revolution?! I just really like using it, I wash my face with it - has been good for reducing dry patches on my face as I, er, advance in years...

It's actually why I got into soap making. I used a 2 year old cake from a friend and fell in love with it. My DH has eczema and I am allergic to lots of things but olive oil works for us both. :)

I think we are lucky to get good cheap OO here.

My Dh's parents are from NZ so I feel like we have a bond with New Zealanders. :):)

It's actually why I got into soap making. I used a 2 year old cake from a friend and fell in love with it. My DH has eczema and I am allergic to lots of things but olive oil works for us both. :)

I think we are lucky to get good cheap OO here.

My Dh's parents are from NZ so I feel like we have a bond with New Zealanders. :):)

Same - my husband has eczema too and he's found it really good for his skin, he gets irritated skin from lots of detergents etc as well. What do you pay for OO there? I just made a batch with Pomace, my first time using that rather than 'regular' OO. It's looking ok so far apart from being a slightly darker colour, but is only a few weeks out of the moulds.

Glad to see there's a few Antipodeans on here :)

Same - my husband has eczema too and he's found it really good for his skin, he gets irritated skin from lots of detergents etc as well. What do you pay for OO there? I just made a batch with Pomace, my first time using that rather than 'regular' OO. It's looking ok so far apart from being a slightly darker colour, but is only a few weeks out of the moulds.

Glad to see there's a few Antipodeans on here :)

We pay $20 for 4 Litres good EVOO off the supermarket shelf. I can get it cheaper in supermarket sales. It is cheaper from the supermarkets than from soap making oil suppliers.

I have to double rinse of DH's clothes if I use some detergents and he has to wear 100% cotton clothes and use 100% cotton sheets. He can't wash the dishes with bare hands (or so he says :))! Fragrances are also a problem for him.

I haven't looked for it much but I haven't seen Pomace here. But since it uses chemicals to extract the OO from olive remnants, leaves, twigs etc etc. I don't think it is something that I would want to use anyway.

He seems to tolerate honey in the Castile soap and loves salt bars!

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. My dream is to travel to New Zealand. When my daughter was a teenager she went on a short term trip to Auckland, New Zealand. Their project was actually in Rotorua. I am hoping to travel there after I retire in a few years. New Zealand is first on my list. Are opals easy to buy there?

We pay $20 for 4 Litres good EVOO off the supermarket shelf. I can get it cheaper in supermarket sales. It is cheaper from the supermarkets than from soap making oil suppliers.

I have to double rinse of DH's clothes if I use some detergents and he has to wear 100% cotton clothes and use 100% cotton sheets. He can't wash the dishes with bare hands (or so he says :))! Fragrances are also a problem for him.

I haven't looked for it much but I haven't seen Pomace here. But since it uses chemicals to extract the OO from olive remnants, leaves, twigs etc etc. I don't think it is something that I would want to use anyway.

He seems to tolerate honey in the Castile soap and loves salt bars!

Hiya!!! I'm Also in Auckland!!!! I'm American, but in NZ for 5 years now. May I know what olive oil you get?! I'm always on the hunt. I generally say if its under $10 a liter at the grocery by us, buy it! My soaping supplier sells either top food grade food stuff or Pomice, and i think its chemically extracted. I use Essential oils because i find fragrance to be one of the worst things in the world. I generally convince myself i'm getting a migrane if I walk down that isle in the grocery store. You know, THAT isle.
Also do you make laundry detergent for hubby, does it help any or still an irritant? Even a dish soap can be created as a mild alternative with your Castile. It won't be an amazing greese cutter but hey, thats what baking soda's under the sink for. Ha! Good luck !.

Hiya!!! I'm Also in Auckland!!!! I'm American, but in NZ for 5 years now.

Also do you make laundry detergent for hubby, does it help any or still an irritant? Even a dish soap can be created as a mild alternative with your Castile. !.

I used EVOO because it's the same price as the others. I haven't seen pomace here but it is chemically extracted so I wouldn't use it. Sorry I am in Oz so can't help with NZ prices.

I am allergic/intolerant to many EOs so I use FOs. DH can't use fragrance at all when his skin is acting up. But it's been fine for a while now.

I don't want to risk trying laundry detergent on him. I haven't made LS yet to test in the kitchen. DH doesn't touch detergent.

Another kiwi sounding off here :) I'm in Dunedin, and can usually get OO for just under $10 for a 1L bottle at the local Pak'nSave.

Welcome to the site. I'd be keen to hear from any others, and especially for us to share info on good local suppliers (I tend to get a bit frustrated seeing all the links to US suppliers and knowing that the cost of shipping will be exorbitant lol).

another kiwi here..........

Hiya, I live in Whakatane, NZ. I've been a soapmaker for about 2.5yrs now and still addicted to it. If OO is on special in the supermarkets I grab it but I have bought large 3 litre bottles of Pomace from Gilmours wholesalers. I found it fine for soapmaking and Ive been happy with my soaps made with it. I do find palm difficult to get and mostly use lard or tallow when I need to.
I must admit I am very envious of our American friends as the variety of soapmaking ingredients and equiptment are exceptional. I use a soapmaking supplier situated in Mt Maunganui mainly -she delivers fast and prices are reasonable. Any suggestions of other good suppliers would always be appreciated. Meanwhile -have fun ....Helen

Hiya!!! I'm Also in Auckland!!!! I'm American, but in NZ for 5 years now. May I know what olive oil you get?! I'm always on the hunt. I generally say if its under $10 a liter at the grocery by us, buy it! My soaping supplier sells either top food grade food stuff or Pomice, and i think its chemically extracted. I use Essential oils because i find fragrance to be one of the worst things in the world. I generally convince myself i'm getting a migrane if I walk down that isle in the grocery store. You know, THAT isle.
Also do you make laundry detergent for hubby, does it help any or still an irritant? Even a dish soap can be created as a mild alternative with your Castile. It won't be an amazing greese cutter but hey, thats what baking soda's under the sink for. Ha! Good luck !.

I usually buy the 3 or 4 litre tins of home brand/Pams/whatever budget brand olive oil, can usually get it for around $10 a litre or so. I keep meaning to try Bin Inn but I don't live near one, don't even know if you can get it from Bin Inn?

I have made laundry detergent, not for ages though. We've been using the Eco Store one that I really like although I'm soaping more these days so have more scraps for making laundry detergent with. Might have to make another batch. We're moving house in a few weeks so think I'll wait till after that - I used to make about 15 litres at once, not too keen on moving house with that! He never had a problem with his skin with my detergent - always made it with unscented castile and added a wee bit of EO.

Latest posts

Back