Best scent for whipped butter/other lotions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintguru

Reaction score
I plan on making some whipped butter for Christmas gifts and am curious what scent(s) folks like in their lotion/body products?

Other than personal preferences (mom likes woody scents, sister likes lavender, etc) I’d say the thing with whipped butters is a lighter scent. The lightness of the skin feel seems to want a light scent to match

I like a light citrus scent, also. Vanilla is one of my favorites, but you may have to used a vanilla color stabilizer for lotions.

I like citrus and warm scents. My favorite right now is Lemon Verbena and Vanilla Bean Noel. I have both on my nightstand. I only make them for family/friends. Other favorites is coconut, lilac, lavender and one like mango.

I forgot about coconut. My favorite coconut scent is Exotic Coconut from Wholesale Supplies Plus. Coffee is also a good scent for men.

Whatever you use, scent lightly. IMO a bakery scent is not a good choice because I don't think most people want to smell like cake or cookies for a few hours.

One of my favourite perfumes is called "Sycamore Sugarworks", it's described as "Caramelized Pear Tarts, Banana Apple Muffins, Spice Cakes With Rum Glaze, Cream Puffs & Maple Walnut Pastries". I guess I'm in the minority LOL! :mrgreen:

I think for every person that likes one type of scent, you'll find another who isn't a fan. For example, I know vanilla scents and coconut scents are very popular and widely used, but I just . can't . deal . with . them. Vanilla is okay to my nose if kept light or used in a blend, but coconut in any form is not. I don't say this to offend people who like these scents; I simply want to share that any scent has devotees and detractors, even these really popular scents. I'm more likely to enjoy a bright citrus blend or a fresh herbal fragrance or a warm wood-spice scent. I also agree with BattleGnome that it's better to scent with a light hand -- scents that might be unappealing if stronger can be fine if light.

If I can't think of anything else I do 50:50 lavender and rosemary. But I got a sweet deal on a custom EO mix of Lavender / Chamomile / Pine (because it's probably the only chamomile EO I'll ever be able to afford) and I mix that 1:2 with a Lav/Rosemary / mint in equal parts and I really like the scent - its gender neutral and quite refreshing.

One of my favourite perfumes is called "Sycamore Sugarworks", it's described as "Caramelized Pear Tarts, Banana Apple Muffins, Spice Cakes With Rum Glaze, Cream Puffs & Maple Walnut Pastries". I guess I'm in the minority LOL! :mrgreen:

That actually sounds amazing! My question is, does it have notes of those foods, or does it legitimately smell like food, like something you could eat?

That actually sounds amazing! My question is, does it have notes of those foods, or does it legitimately smell like food, like something you could eat?

It definitely has some realistic dessert notes - especially the pear and banana - mouth-watering! It has a sugary-sweet vanilla note that's more perfume than food though. It's a nice complex scent that changes as the hours go by.

The company is called "Solstice Scents", they have some interesting ones! "Library" is particularly interesting - they captured the musty book smell very accurately.

A 2:1 blend of Eucalyptus/Spearmint is extremely popular with both men and women. Mango Sorbet, Lavender, and Lemongrass fo (California Candle) are staples for me. I prefer to use Lemongrass fo not eo in leave-on products. I also have a very light DB or Nag champa. I also find White Tea and Ginger stays popular.

@Carrie, that you for reminding me of the Lav/cham/pine I am going to make up some today. I always add in extra Pine to that mix.

I got a sweet deal on a custom EO mix of Lavender / Chamomile / Pine

That sounds really nice! I'm a sucker for anything with pine and/or fir.

Which brings me to my suggestion. During the holidays I do a blend with fir/pine and NG's Christmas Cabin. For wash off products I go with 1 part of the Christmas Cabin (which is a really nice cinnamon fragrance) to 2 parts of fir/pine. For leave-on, I do 1 part Christmas Cabin to 3 parts of fir/pine. The usage rate of the CC is low, so keep an eye on that (and it accelerates in CP).

It's a nice unisex blend, and it's my most popular scent this time of the year.

I actually just finished making a few batches and my favorite was peppermint eucalyptus. It has just a strong enough peppermint scent that it makes me think of candy canes and Christmas but not so overpowering that you walk around feeling like a piece of candy! Those were a coconut oil base and they turned out very smooth.

Back