de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure found a winner for the heat tolerance of the babassu this trip! My car has not only tested my patience and heat tolerance, it has also tested my deodorant using Magnesium Hydroxide in Babassu oil (and additives) with temps inside the cabin of my car remaining at a constant 114°F for several hours and also 120°F for at least 2-3 hours for two or three days in a row this trip!

I forgot to put my deo into my cooler in my car on Saturday morning in my rush to pack the car and depart my hotel room. I showered after packing, so my deo stayed out of the cooler, and I forgot to put it there as planned when I got into the car. It sat in a small bag with a few last minute things on the floor of the passenger's side of the car while driving without the aide of AC for two full days before I realized where I had left it. On Sunday morning when I couldn't find it, I wasn't even sure where I'd put it, if it was in my car's cabin or the trunk or even left behind in the hotel. I did later realize where it was while trying to cool off at a rest area parked in a non-parking space under some trees for the shade. There it was un-melted after several hours inside that horribly hot car.

Remembering the time I brought it along and it melted when it was only babassu & MgOH, and since then with the 3% beeswax when I always kept it in the cooler, but didn't think to actually test it outside the cooler, but even if I had, my AC didn't go out until this trip, I know for sure the added cera bellina wax and rice bran wax (accidentally used two when my plan was to use only one, but since it's done, that's what I am currently using) will not melt in a car with such high temps sitting all day and all night for a minimum of 48 hours.

Now when I say 120°F, I am talking about the heat in the cabin of the car while I was inside of it and driving with and windows cracked for ventilation. This does not account for the heat build-up while I was not inside the car when I locked the car to go inside rest rooms, etc, which I did a few times. The heat would tend to build up even more in those situations, but I failed to make note of any temperatures inside the car higher than 120° because I was really trying to figure out how hot the air my AC was blowing through the vents. Obviously, not a desirable situation, but I certainly learned something about my current deo formula's resistance to heat inside a hot car! Do I plan to repeat this accidental experiment? Not if I can help it, but since the AC in my car isn't fixed yet, the opportunity still exists! But this is the only deo I have with me, so no, not any time soon.

FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS INCLUDING FRAGRANCE:
NO PONG ORIGINAL

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Corn Starch, Beeswax, and a proprietary blend of 100% pure, Australian certified organic essential oils consisting of Orange Sweet, Vanilla, Lemongrass, Cedarwood Atlas, Bergamot, Lime, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, and Geranium, that together give No Pong it’s fresh gender neutral smell.

NO PONG – LOW FRAGRANCE, BICARB FREE
Our latest formula is a delicious, earthy, patent-pending formulation of Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Magnesium Hydroxide, Diatomaceous Earth, Beeswax, and a reduced concentration of our fresh, gender neutral, proprietary blend of 100% pure, Australian certified organic essential oils consisting of Orange Sweet, Vanilla, Lemongrass, Cedarwood Atlas, Bergamot, Lime, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, and Geranium.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I hate using supermarket spray deodorants but they have been the only ones to work. Recently I tried a product called 'no pong'. it's fab. A little tub of mild smelling paste - I'm sure it has baking soda in it. No problems with my skin so far. I am going to try some of the things here too. And so happy to hear about tummy fold areas and also for me under boobies. Still doing hot flushes, so get sweaty easily. All those fold areas get raw and all medical people can offer is cortisone cream !

For me I have had success using an OTC anti-fungal spray (the kind used for athlete's foot) to treat the Intertrigo that results in the abdominal fold. There are anti-fungal powders as well, but I prefer the spray for ease of use.

An interesting aside re: MOM (mainly magnesium sulfate) and tongue injuries from biting the tongue. I have been suffering the painful result of biting my tongue (so much stress over my car problems I suppose), probably in my sleep because I don't remember the event happening. Healing was taking so long that I decided to look for some home remedies online and found a site that recommends coating the bitten tongue with MOM. Since I had a bottle of MOM in my car, I decided to give it a try. It actually did relieve the pain for a short time. It doesn't feel as though it has aided any healing, though. I was surprised by the actual reduction of discomfort, though. Yet I do remain skeptical about it promoting healing.

Spotted a new deodorant targeted for men on the Duluth Trading Site called Spit & Polish. Ingredients are: Sodium Bicarbonate, Coconut Oil, Candelilla Wax, Arrowroot Powder, MCT Oil, Pumpkinseed Oil, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Carrot Seed Essential Oil, Tea Tree Essential Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E, Aspen Bark Extract. I like investigating ingredients and thought maybe some of you would too. Lotioncrafters sells an aspen bark extract and here is some of what they have to say about it - "Today, the natural salicylates in Aspen Bark have been isolated by Active Micro Technologies and standardized between 54.0 - 60% in PhytoCide Aspen Bark Extract Powder. This powder has been found to have a useful activity as an antimicrobial in cosmetic and personal care products. Initial efficacy testing has shown it to be effective at inhibiting the growth of E. coli, S. aureus, B. subtilis, P. aeuruginosa, yeast and mold. Additionally, it may also impart a smooth feel to the skin." I'm guessing that they incorporate the MCT oil for its higher lauric acid content? Anyone else care to comment on this recipe?

Salycilates (acetylsalicylic acid to be specific) are what's in aspirin, which is why when you are hiking and have a toothache chewing on willow bark is recommended by some naturalists. Salycilates appear to act as a natural pesticide to protect the plants in which they are present, such as slippery elm, willow and many other vegetable matter, like broccoli and several other fruits and vegetables. For people with salycilate sensitivities, which may include fibromayalga, it is recommended to avoid some of these foods and products containing these ingredients. Just thought I'd mention that, as there are reasons some people cannot use a deodorant with salycilates.

Salycilates (acetylsalicylic acid to be specific) are what's in aspirin, which is why when you are hiking and have a toothache chewing on willow bark is recommended by some naturalists. Salycilates appear to act as a natural pesticide to protect the plants in which they are present, such as slippery elm, willow and many other vegetable matter, like broccoli and several other fruits and vegetables. For people with salycilate sensitivities, which may include fibromayalga, it is recommended to avoid some of these foods and products containing these ingredients. Just thought I'd mention that, as there are reasons some people cannot use a deodorant with salycilates.

Yup, did know about salycilates as I included wintergreen eo in an arnica salve I used to make and it also has salycilates in it.

Thanks to generous members, I've been testing out a couple different types of defunk. One is the basic 50/50 bab/mag and the other has more stuff, including some of that deodorant additive from BB.
Honestly, I don't notice much difference between the two besides that one the extra ingredients is a bit more silky, glides just a little easier. Both work the same as far as keeping the stink away.

I do have a weird thing happen though and I have to wonder if it me or if others have experienced this too. I don't start to smell for a couple of days and even then, its pretty mild but at the end of day one, there is a really bad musty smell. After some investigating, I discovered it is my clothing.
For some reason, my shirts develop a funk in the pit area, bad enough I sometimes have to change my shirt in the middle of the day.
Its weird and I'd like to get to the bottom of the cause. All my deodorant it unscented. Going to melt down on jar and add some scent, see if that might help things.

Let me get this right... your pits don't smell but you've noticed that your clothing smells? I would guess that your under arm odor is transferring to your clothing.... which means the deodorant isn't working as well as you'd like.
I do have a weird thing happen though and I have to wonder if it me or if others have experienced this too. I don't start to smell for a couple of days and even then, its pretty mild but at the end of day one, there is a really bad musty smell. After some investigating, I discovered it is my clothing.
For some reason, my shirts develop a funk in the pit area, bad enough I sometimes have to change my shirt in the middle of the day.
Its weird and I'd like to get to the bottom of the cause. All my deodorant it unscented. Going to melt down on jar and add some scent, see if that might help things.

Your posts are a treat to read.....I will need to experiment with the Babassu, sounds interesting. I currently use a Magnesium Oil with a smidge of glycerin and a few drops of essential oils. Sells well in my product line, it’s totally non staining, dries quickly and lasts all day. Only draw back, must shave pits night before, the burn is bad on freshly shaven pits

I had a strange thing happen with my Babassu-Magnesium Hydroxide deodorant. It was working great, and then I changed from Amazon's Babassu (Dr. Adorable brand) to Soaper's Choice. About a week after making the new batch, it was all grainy. I've never had shea butter get grainy, but I guess it's like that. When I try to rub the deodorant stick across my arm, it sort of falls apart in little clumps. When I press with my finger, it's too soft for a stick deodorant. There are little "grains" of oil throughout that melt quickly on my arm when I rub it. This has never happened before! I'd like to know the culprit. Since the only change has been in brand of Babassu oil, I assume that's it, but I don't know. I'll post my recipe here. I tested combinations of ingredients until I hit on something that worked well for my family and friends (testers). My babassu was Amazon's Dr. Adorable brand. The final deodorant that I've been using for about a year or so glided and was very smooth to apply. Not mushy in warm weather, and not too hard to apply in cold weather. It didn't melt in the car, but I'm sure it would have been too soft to apply if I had tried, but that wasn't a criteria for me so I didn't worry about that. I made it with different essential oils, and made some batches with a little charcoal. All has been great for quite awhile. Then I purchased from Soaper's Choice. That may not be what caused the grainy, mushy batch. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions, ideas and advice for fixing this batch. It was a large batch to add to Christmas gifts. Anything I can do to fix it? Here's my recipe:

46% Babassu Oil
25% Magnesium Hydroxide
15% Emulsifying Wax (I've found that different brands require different amounts sometimes)
14% Cetyl Alcohol
Essential Oils or Fragrance Oils - amount varies
I've also added a little activated charcoal and/or bentonite clay without any change.
Does Babassu require tempering? Maybe I let it get too hot while making it. I can scoop the deodorant out of the tube with my fingers to use it, but that won't do for gifts. Any help is appreciated. :)

I would think too much cetyl, I do not go lower than 35% of magnesium, it works great every batch, I have such wonderful feedback on it
Thank you, Dahila. Where do you buy Babassu, or do you think that makes any difference. Just wondering because my recipe has worked great until I used the babassu from Soaper's Choice. All other ingredients were from the same source as previous batches. Maybe I don't need so much cetyl alcohol.

Mine have always been solid at room temperature (generally about 60 to 75 degrees F). I melt it by setting the jug in a sink with hot tap water. The babassu from Soaper's Choice stayed liquid for about a day and a half, but the babassu from Amazon became too solid to pour within a few hours.

The babassu I have is from Majestic Mountain Sage. It is a brittle solid at room temp in all but the warmest of Iowa days, but melts easily at body temp. It's been a few years since I bought it, so I can't say if their latest babassu is the same.

Thanks to generous members, I've been testing out a couple different types of defunk. One is the basic 50/50 bab/mag and the other has more stuff, including some of that deodorant additive from BB.
Honestly, I don't notice much difference between the two besides that one the extra ingredients is a bit more silky, glides just a little easier. Both work the same as far as keeping the stink away.

I have also had that happen a few times and I do scent mine. Please let me know if you figure it out

NDA in Canada, but in US they have the same thing, It is hard but dissolve very fast on skin, I would say it is whiter than Coconut oi. I do scent it with essential oils , works like a charm

The only Babassu I have ever bought that was hard and not liquid form was from New Directions Aromatics. All others were liquid unless I put them in the refrigerator. Im in Florida so I have no idea how it behaved in a cooler area.
I bought babassu oil from Camden Grey. It becomes liquid in the summer months since I'm in th northeastern part of the USA. right about now, if it gets consistently cooler, it should solidify in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back