Basic Lard Recipe: Can I soap at RT?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
Hello all,

Still doing my research and fact finding before taking the leap to soaping again. In the past, I simply used recipes found in books or on soaping sites. Now, however, I'm taking the leap to using soap calc to try my hand at my own recipe.

My question is: I'd like to do some swirls with my lard soap recipe, and I'd like to soap at RT. Is this possible with the recipe I've devised. Heck, is the recipe I've made even a good recipe?

Commoncenz Basic Soap Recipe.jpg

Thank you Susie ... There's a whole bunch of things I've had to catch up on and it seems at times that things can get a little overwhelming. Well, not overwhelming per se, but ..well there's a lot of information floating around in my head right now ... lol

Hi commoncenz, I use a recipe that is similar to yours and I soap at room temp with no problems. I usually do simple ITP swirls and have plenty of time unless I'm working with a problem FO.

Thanks Wolf. That gives me some confidence in the recipe and what I'm trying to do with it.

I have similar recipes that take a long time to even get to trace. As long as you use well behaved fragrances and additives you should be fine.

Thank you all ... your responses have definitely helped in the confidence department. I guess I'll start looking at fragrances and colors now. I've set a "start soaping by" date of the Saturday after the upcoming one (family coming to town this weekend). I see that Mad Oils has a nice sample pack on Micas. Has anyone used this?

That's pretty much my recipe there. My question is what is room temp for you now? 60 degrees would be too cool - the coconut oil and lard would start to solidify and give you false trace. I generally like to be between 90 and 110.

You're exactly right Dixie. It's still extremely cool here in Ohio, and I wouldn't actually try to work with lard at real RT anyway. From what I've read, the 90 degree to 100 degree range is what I should be shooting for. And I see that you even say that as far as 110 degrees is good. Thank you for the reminder, it's going in my notes next to my recipe.

Being in Ohio (Michigan here) I would just pop your oils in the microwave until they are clear (no cloudiness) warm enough to not solidify on you and you should be fine. I soap that way all the time with no issues.

Back