Dyes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslavey

Reaction score
I recently bought about 10lbs of Joy Wax from NG. Since I'm new to candle making, I figured I wouldn't bother getting fancy and would skip buying dyes. I have a ton of NG fragrance oils left from when I would make soap so I have a bunch of those on hand.

When I had bought soap supplies, I bought liquid dyes that were safe for MP soap (didn't end up using them because I did CP soap). I'm wonder if the dye that you can use in MP soap is safe to use in Joy Wax? I don't have the original packaging to be able to double-check, but I'm curious if there's a specific type of dye used for candles.

You can't use soap dyes in candle wax. The candle dyes are in wax form that you shave off and put into the wax while melting it. I have no idea what joy wax is so can't help you with that. You can buy your candle dyes from here - http://www.candlescience.com/ It seems this company has liquid candle dye and the FAQ's at the top of the page are very helpful.

I prefer to use wood wicks over cotton wicks, but that's just my personal preference. I do like the fact that they make a slight fire crackling sound as they burn down and I think the burn radius is more even. The wicks I use do tend to discolour non dyed wax slightly but that could just be the ones I use and I find that most of my customers prefer the wood wicks. They are just as easy to work with but in colder weather while the candles are setting they can make the top of the wax crack in a line on either side of the wick which is fixed easily enough if it does happen.

jimmyjack said:
I prefer to use wood wicks over cotton wicks, but that's just my personal preference. I do like the fact that they make a slight fire crackling sound as they burn down and I think the burn radius is more even. The wicks I use do tend to discolour non dyed wax slightly but that could just be the ones I use and I find that most of my customers prefer the wood wicks. They are just as easy to work with but in colder weather while the candles are setting they can make the top of the wax crack in a line on either side of the wick which is fixed easily enough if it does happen.I prefer to use wood wicks over cotton wicks, but that's just my personal preference. I do like the fact that they make a slight fire crackling sound as they burn down and I think the burn radius is more even. The wicks I use do tend to discolour non dyed wax slightly but that could just be the ones I use and I find that most of my customers prefer the wood wicks. They are just as easy to work with but in colder weather while the candles are setting they can make the top of the wax crack in a line on either side of the wick which is fixed easily enough if it does happen.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original question?

I recently bought about 10lbs of Joy Wax from NG. Since I'm new to candle making, I figured I wouldn't bother getting fancy and would skip buying dyes. I have a ton of NG fragrance oils left from when I would make soap so I have a bunch of those on hand.

When I had bought soap supplies, I bought liquid dyes that were safe for MP soap (didn't end up using them because I did CP soap). I'm wonder if the dye that you can use in MP soap is safe to use in Joy Wax? I don't have the original packaging to be able to double-check, but I'm curious if there's a specific type of dye used for candles.

As Relle said, no, the soap dyes will not work with candles, as they are formulated differently.
Also remember when adding any new ingredient to your wax - be it FO or dye, you need to retest your wicks. Sometimes there will not be a significant difference and the dye/wax will burn great with the same size wick you originally tested with, but more often then not you have to up the size to get a correct burn when adding ingredients, or I've even seen cases of having to decrease the wick size but that is rare.

As Relle said, no, the soap dyes will not work with candles, as they are formulated differently.
Also remember when adding any new ingredient to your wax - be it FO or dye, you need to retest your wicks. Sometimes there will not be a significant difference and the dye/wax will burn great with the same size wick you originally tested with, but more often then not you have to up the size to get a correct burn when adding ingredients, or I've even seen cases of having to decrease the wick size but that is rare.

Oddly enough, I've only had issues with wicks being too large rather than too small. I've had to continuously downsize, despite having the recommended sized wick for the containers I use.

I had completely forgotten about this post. I've still kept making candles, began using soy 464 but didn't like that as much so invested in another slab of Joy Wax. I only use liquid dyes though, rather than chips, that way I can more precisely control the color.

I'm not making candles to sell, I really only do 1lb batches at a time and my supplies are fairly limited. I don't have the means to constantly test wicks with every new fragrance oil, since I use an entire 1oz bottle at a time. My candles are mainly only for personal use, though I have given a couple away as gifts.

Latest posts

Back