linen/body spray... homemade vs base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauramw71

Reaction score
I have been selling alot of room sprays lately. I make mine from scratch preserved distilled water, modifier, FO. They smell great, but don't have a real lasting power. Has anyone done both base and homemade? The base is kind of pricey, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to it.
TIA!! :D

Laura

hey Laura,

What do you mean by modifyer?

Cheers
Deb

Hi there. A modifier is an emulsifier so the water and FO will mix. Like poly 20. but I get the modifier from WSP.
HTH

:)

Oh you should! Just make sure you add a preservative! People at my work are buying these sprays like crazy! I charge $5 for 4oz and sold $50 worth last week! woo hoo!!

laura that sounds like fun, something I haven't tried. Would you mind sharing how you make room freshner.....what preservative would you use for instance......thanks for any help!

VERY easy to make!! Sells like hotcakes. LOL My best sellers have been Downy Clean Breeze, and Spiced Cranberry. for a 4 oz bottle I put 24ml of modifier in my bottle (got it at wsp, but am switching to poly for this since it doesn't use as much, not worried about a milky spray), add 6ml FO, then fill with preserved water. I added germaban II to my gallon of distilled water. 1oz if I remember correctly... This way I dont have to add it with every one I make. This is a 5% mixture. I use the same thing for my body spray, but only make at 2%.
HTH!
Laura

VERY easy to make!! Sells like hotcakes. LOL My best sellers have been Downy Clean Breeze, and Spiced Cranberry. for a 4 oz bottle I put 24ml of modifier in my bottle (got it at wsp, but am switching to poly for this since it doesn't use as much, not worried about a milky spray), add 6ml FO, then fill with preserved water. I added germaban II to my gallon of distilled water. 1oz if I remember correctly... This way I dont have to add it with every one I make. This is a 5% mixture. I use the same thing for my body spray, but only make at 2%.
HTH!
Laura

Hey Laura,

I'll definitely remmeber the preservative - so with 4 oz being give or take 100 ml, its 25% modifyer, 6% FO and give or 1 oz to a gallon preservative...UK or imperial? (3.8 or 4.5 liter?) ...correct? Not sure how that tallies with 5%, am I mistaken?

The 5% is amount of FO.. I add at a 5% level. Are you trying to figure out how much preservative to use? That I add about an ounce to a gallon of preservative. I'm not sure what you're lookin for here... the preservative or the recipe in a whole?
Here is the formula I use for room/linen spray. I've changed from using the EO/FO Modifier to using poly 20. It makes a milky looking spray, but noone seems to mind it.

6ml poly 20
6ml FO
mix, then fill the bottle with preserved distilled water.

This is for a 4 oz bottle. I'm not sure the exact amount of water I add because a 4oz bottle will require more liquid than exactly 4 oz to look full.

Let me know if this doesn't clear it up! :)

Back