suitable for selling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dksoaper

Reaction score
The soaps I have been making only have oils,colors and fragrances in them. they have turned quite beautiful and people are asking to buy them. Would they be suitable for selling without clays,oats and butters and milks in them? My soaps do not seem to dry the skin and have plenty of lather. What would be the advantage of additives except adding to the cost?

Your question about additives deserves direct answers. I hope others will kindly offer the benefit of their experiences.

There's a side subject you raised that I want to comment on. I have to agree that selling soap as a beginner is certainly tempting. I got the same reaction about my soap that you did about yours -- it's a fairly common story here on SMF. Looking at the pattern of your posts and questions, it's clear you still are in a steep learning curve. Before you take the plunge to sell even small amounts to friends and family, I suggest you read this thread: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16002

Last edited:
I don't sell, but I am a consumer as well as making my own soaps.

Speaking as a consumer, I expect any soap I purchase to last indefinitely. Really. I have some artisan-made goats milk soap in my upstairs bathroom that has been there for at least five years. I have used one of the bars, but the other two are still in their original wrappers. They are still very nice soaps with no evidence of DOS or other deterioration. Now not all consumers are going to keep your soap unused for that long, but it's good to know that your soap can stand up to the test of time. There is only way to know that about your soap.

Plenty of people buy soaps without a lot of additives. I never cared about additives in soap for at least 50 years, so I'd say you have a good chance of finding a market that won't be as influenced by additives as some others may be.

Speaking as a consumer, I expect any soap I purchase to last indefinitely. Really. I have some artisan-made goats milk soap in my upstairs bathroom that has been there for at least five years. I have used one of the bars, but the other two are still in their original wrappers. They are still very nice soaps with no evidence of DOS or other deterioration.

Plenty of people buy soaps without a lot of additives. I never cared about additives in soap for at least 50 years, so I'd say you have a good chance of finding a market that won't be as influenced by additives as some others may be.

Can I be nosy and ask what is the wrapper material? And do you use upstairs bathroom a lot? Is your bathroom humidity very low or high?Are they kept in a cabinet or out in the open air? If it's shrink-wrapped, does it have front and back labels or extra cigar bands ( for ingredients list) or just bare naked underneath? Do you feel the soap SUPERFAT at a low level or average or high level?

And to the OP, I don't think additive is a must. But I do like designed soaps ( swirls, pointillism, textured top, embed, etc ) though I said that, minimalism is quite a simple beauty on its own. You can see lots of fancy soaps and simple soaps on etsy. Less additive= lower cost, and your price can be little bit lower, that's a selling point. And even simple label can look good on simple soaps. ( exquisite labels will, too. )

And I would not suggest you sell so fast. Maybe share with friends and family first. Or barter. I have been soaping for 8 years and still encountering things I have never seen. My first DOS ( dreaded orange spots ) came like last year I think. First soap on a stick also came last year. Haven't seen volcano, and hope I will never see it. And I still have tons of questions about soap. And learn something new here EVERY SINGLE DAY. And I just start selling last year.

Please don't feel we are bashing you. We want you to have the best soap to sell. ;)

Can I be nosy and ask what is the wrapper material? And do you use upstairs bathroom a lot? Is your bathroom humidity very low or high?Are they kept in a cabinet or out in the open air? If it's shrink-wrapped, does it have front and back labels or extra cigar bands ( for ingredients list) or just bare naked underneath? Do you feel the soap SUPERFAT at a low level or average or high level?

Wrapper: Paper cigar band type over loose plastic wrap (not shrink wrap)
Open air.
Upstairs bathroom not much used, unless we have guests, which isn't often.
Guessing SF seems fairly average.
Low humidity most of the year, higher only at the start of summer.

Hi dk, I'm glad others like your soap but I too suggest you hold back selling until you have fully explored that side. As for additives, try them out and see what you think personally. Then you can truly speak for the soap you sell (and don't sell). Also be sure to understand different oil balances for different skin types, climates, seasons, etc. You know the saying: know your product inside and out. It will take you far in the long run.

The soaps I have been making only have oils,colors and fragrances in them. they have turned quite beautiful and people are asking to buy them. Would they be suitable for selling without clays,oats and butters and milks in them? My soaps do not seem to dry the skin and have plenty of lather. What would be the advantage of additives except adding to the cost?

I'd say go for it! Start out on a small scale. There are thousands of soap recipes out there and what works for one seller might not work for another. If you have made a good solid soap without the additives I think that's awesome!

Latest posts

Back