A lake of castor oil and tears

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everlasting sticky film

Thinking out loud... would a mild lye solution saponify it and give you super clean floors? Or would uncured, negative SF soap help at all?

I'm glad your mom is doing well, it's always tricky to care for a parent

Oh no, you're most certainly not alone. I'm always leaving something for "just a minute" while I do something else. Like the time I put a huge stockpot of oils on the stove and decided to turn the burner to high, because the pot was so big, and I thought that by leaving it on high for "just a minute" would heat it faster than waiting for a long time with the burner on low. Next thing I knew, my house was filled with thick, acrid smoke. Or the time my oven was broken so I put my mold in the oven to preheat with the broiler on, because that still worked, and of course I'm just going to leave it in there for "just a minute." Hey, why do I smell wood burning? Ooops! Or the time I left some eggs to hard boil on the stove while I did something else. OMG...what was that noise? Yup, eggs exploding in a pot that all of the water had boiled out of. Warning, this will cause eggs to explode and hit the ceiling...the walls...and everything else in their way. Oh, there are more stories, but they all end the same. So you have lots of company my dear. Never feel alone.

My best wishes for your mom. And take care of yourself too. It's easy to get run down when you're worried about someone you love.

smiley-gets-a-big-hug.gif

Ah yes! How many times have I boiled apple cider into paste? It does smell good though. You know, it's amazing we live as long as we do, given what a fire hazard many of us seem to be. It's always nice to know I have such lovely company. ;)

Speaking of exploding food, I once had a watermelon spontaneously explode on my countertop. I hadn't had it for more than a couple days so it must have already been on the brink of fermenting when I bought it. Kaboom!

You may want to look into a small tankless water heater. I saw a 3-gallon one for sale online - I think Lowe's - for under $200.

We have discussed this a few times in the past, but we just haven't done it for a variety of reasons. One is I want it for the whole house, not just one or two specific areas like he does. Another is the cost for the whole house and installation, etc. is much more expensive than we expected. The third reason is that making any new investments to alter our house to be how we would prefer if we were to remain here for the rest of our lives is countered by the fact that we have reconsidered staying here for the rest our lives. So we've done nothing toward that end.

It's still a very good idea, of course!

My soap room has carpet on the floor, I am terrified of when I drop some oil or other substance on it and can't get it cleaned up. I have been soaping for little over a year and the only thing I have spilled on the floor was a bottle of fragrance oil. I got it clean up ok.

You are only human, don't get down on yourself for a simple mistake that anyone could have made.

Robert

Ah yes! How many times have I boiled apple cider into paste? It does smell good though. You know, it's amazing we live as long as we do, given what a fire hazard many of us seem to be. It's always nice to know I have such lovely company. ;)

Speaking of exploding food, I once had a watermelon spontaneously explode on my countertop. I hadn't had it for more than a couple days so it must have already been on the brink of fermenting when I bought it. Kaboom!

I had one explode in the back of my SUV while at the lake...we never did get the smell out of that car.

Latest posts

Back