February 2017 SMF Soap Challenge- Ebru Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My three attempts (and I keep saying after each one I'm not doing it again) :) are attached. I am having a hard time doing the swirl before the batter sets up, then I get stressed because the batter is setting up, then my scatterbrain sets in and I suddenly can't remember how to do the swirl, although I've air swirled it several times and watched 79 videos on how to do it! I started out on the slab molds and messed up the first side every time after the initial swirl. Then I decided to do it in the loaf mold because that is the mold I use all the time. Still messed up. Oh well, here are my 3 tries. If I decide to do it again, then I may have an entry afterall.

IMG_20170206_140519502_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170207_133211293_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170208_124848173.jpg

mx6- I love your flowers. They look just like petunias to me!

Mom- the nice thing about this challenge is that your swirls look great even if you didn't get your pattern done like you wanted. It's difficult to gauge batter but something like this sure gives you practice on timing it.

Sleeve in design- done just last night.

I have a slew of patterns up and am trying to unwind them to figure out how they are done. Some are fairly easy to see but there are a number of them that are really difficult to figure out. Love Susan's work as well but there are some really marvelous paper marblers out there.

My mold is coming on Saturday. Why couldn't it come Friday instead?? Well at least I got my swap box.

I realized since my last post I actually have used a slab mold a few times, but before I got crazy with colorants I think. I think I'm going to like all the extra room. Thanks for the tip on rolling up my sleeves!

I finally got my first attempt done! I suppose it can qualify for 3 because I used 3 different molds, as little slab molds and tried a slightly different color combo & design in each.

I think the soaps will be fine, but I let the batter thicken too much before I started pouring. I left the room to check email and didn't return as soon as I should have.

So I'll probably be doing at least one or more repeats. I'll see what they look like in the morning.

Well, thank you. It is a fine soap as general swirls go but for ebru and pattern, it is unquestionably a fail. That's okay. I am pouring another layer on the top and on the bottom so this will be the middle of the soap sandwich, and the last part of the soap as someone uses it.

Well, thank you. It is a fine soap as general swirls go but for ebru and pattern, it is unquestionably a fail. That's okay. I am pouring another layer on the top and on the bottom so this will be the middle of the soap sandwich, and the last part of the soap as someone uses it.

I wasn't happy with mine either and actually plan to do the same thing by making them into soap sandwiches. I do hope I have better luck next time.

So this is... not Ebru. :) Originally the plan was to make a honeycomb pattern using the light yellow/gray/white strips but the definition just wasn't there. So I ended up darkening some batter and dipping my skewer into it (like paint) and, in effect, drawing the pattern on. Once all was said and done I began to question whether or not it qualified as an Ebru soap, so I reached out to lionprincess for clarification. She very graciously reached out to the other hosts for a verdict and it was determined that it wasn't technically an Ebru pattern. I agree with that decision, and want to thank all the hosts very much for their time and input on the matter!!!

The good news is I didn't think I would have time to get another one made, but just today a few hours opened up and I was able to whip something up - yay! The other good news is I only stuck my sleeve into it once this time. Oy.

P1150696.jpg

That is an incredibly cute soap.

I just wanted to clarify why I thought this was not an ebru soap, for you and for others. To me, an ebru soap, whether doing a picture type or a pattern, requires that you pull, push, stretch or somehow manipulate lines or dots of color into a new form. To apply a color onto the soap in the shape you want it is a different thing; it can lead to beautiful soap for sure, but ebru requires the manipulation part to get your ultimate design.

We were an undecided group and Lionprincess ultimately had to make the call, which I say not to "blame" her but to let you know there were mixed thoughts on it. My thoughts were as above. I love your soap though. If you or anyone has any questions, please do ask.

Last edited:
Hi newbie, I am totally fine with the final verdict, especially as I had the same concerns which is why I reached out for clarification. The concept of Ebru was confusing me (doesn't take much!) and I had suspicions my first soap didn't adhere to the rules. Lionprincess kept it confidential from me who she reached out to (so I have no idea, nor do I want/need to know!).

I posted the photo on this thread so I could 1) put a thank you out into the universe to everyone who weighed in and say how much I really appreciate the time and energy spent on this (and also say that due to the input, I feel I have a much firmer grasp on the Ebru concept!), 2) put up an example of what not to do :) and 3) I did work hard on it and wanted to share a photo, warts and all! There are many things I'd do differently next time, but that's par for the course, I suppose!

As for the new soap, well, after looking at it this morning it would appear sticking my sleeve into the batter was the least of all the problems! haha...

I hope you didn't mean to take my explanation as getting defensive, Howie, or that I didn't understand why you were posting your soap. I wanted to make sure to explain to anyone/everyone what we are looking for. If you were somewhat confused, it's entirely possible someone else is/was. I posted my reasoning in case there were people wondering what exactly wasn't ebru about your soap. LP has been extra busy recently so I took it upon myself to put the info out there.

I knew you were totally fine with the verdict as well, understood it and accepted it because you weren't certain either. I didn't mean to somehow imply that you were complaining or some such thing in your post. I was seriously just going for clarity.

I'm glad you posted it because it's a great soap. No need to explain why you'd want to put it out there!

Last edited:
Howie, you mentioned that you struggle to get the design done before your soap sets up. Have you tried really low water? Lots of us have found that with 40% lye concentration and a fragrance that doesn't accelerate, then you have a much longer time to work before the soap sets.

Back