Over fragranced!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone that works for a law enforcement agency and deals with fraud on a daily basis, I am saying this from THAT frame of mind, not to bash someone. I took a look at the P&J website and it does not pass muster. If you look at the "about us" page, it gives little to no information about the people other than they sell "premium high quality" materials and they're a "family owned and operated" business. It does not give any address, phone number, names of account holders, any actual information on WHO THEY ARE. Under the "Contact Us" link, there is only a fill in the blank form. Under "Customer Service" they only provide an email address. There is no way of contacting them via telephone or mail. They provide a link to their Amazon sales page. There are no usage information on any of the fragrances and no links to the IFRA data. However, there are links to the material safety data sheets for all of the fragrances. The MSDS do list the address and phone number of the company. I think it is alarming that you'd have to go to those lengths to find that information, though. That information should be available under "Who We Are" and "Contact Us." A reputable company will list the company name, address, telephone and fax numbers where they are readily available. They will usually list presidents, CEOs, and managers as well.

You know, I thoroughly agree with everything you have just said. maybe I will give away the rest of the scents. As I said I did email them and was assured its ok for skin care products... but somehow I don't really feel reassured? basically because the scent is so very strong.. It doesn't feel right.

If you look up the website you will see they also have their msds sheets for any of the fo's I looked up. So I really doubt they are lying. As for most of us purchasing from them they only sell amounts to small for us to use. We surely do not know all the suppliers of legit fragrance oils. No one here, as far as I know, purchases from one of my supplies and the fella that gets my fo's duped. Why would a fragrance Oil be suspicious because it is strong. Plus strong is subjective. Think my DB....

While I understand the way Theresa looks at this I do know this company exists. I have seen them when I roaming around San Clemente, CA, but never went in. As they noe on their site they are a small family owned company and most likely to not have a President and Ceo, etc, which is only necessary with corporations. Their MSDS sheets list their information as to address and phone number. We have many of these small FO's companies in LA and some scattered in Orange County.

Last edited:
You know, I thoroughly agree with everything you have just said. maybe I will give away the rest of the scents. As I said I did email them and was assured its ok for skin care products... but somehow I don't really feel reassured? basically because the scent is so very strong.. It doesn't feel right.

I would not get rid of them. I would contact the company and request the IFRA information for all of the fragrance oils you have purchased. Until they provide that info, I would not use them simply because they are concentrated fragrances and some have different URs than others.

If you look up the website you will see they also have their msds sheets for any of the fo's I looked up. So I really doubt they are lying. As for most of us purchasing from them they only sell amounts to small for us to use. We surely do not know all the suppliers of legit fragrance oils. No one here, as far as I know, purchases from one of my supplies and the fella that gets my fo's duped. Why would a fragrance Oil be suspicious because it is strong. Plus strong is subjective. Think my DB....

While I understand the way Theresa looks at this I do know this company exists. I have seen them when I roaming around San Clemente, CA, but never went in. As they noe on their site they are a small family owned company and most likely to not have a President and Ceo, etc, which is only necessary with corporations. Their MSDS sheets list their information as to address and phone number. We have many of these small FO's companies in LA and some scattered in Orange County.

True, some smaller companies do not have Presidents and CEOs. Hiwever, they do have owners/operators. I found it very odd that there was no information at all about who those people were, how the company originated, what makes their product superior than other products, etc. I would think if you are attempting to sell something to the public, you would put some kind of sales pitch out there. This company has nothing like that on their website. Although, if they've been in business for 30 years, perhaps they've been a "local" brick & mortar store that has decided to branch out into internet sales and gets most of their business via Amazon. Maybe the website was an afterthought due to excellent Amazon sales. I don't know. I was just speculating based on my professional experience with internet fraud.

ETA: I did mention that the website has a list of all the MSDS of all the FOs they sell. The MSDS have the address and phone number of the business. I just found it peculiar that it was not readily available on the website itself. Normally, good business practices would dictate that your business name, address and phone number would be readily available for clientele.

Last edited:
I would not get rid of them. I would contact the company and request the IFRA information for all of the fragrance oils you have purchased. Until they provide that info, I would not use them simply because they are concentrated fragrances and some have different URs than others.

True, some smaller companies do not have Presidents and CEOs. Hiwever, they do have owners/operators. I found it very odd that there was no information at all about who those people were, how the company originated, what makes their product superior than other products, etc. I would think if you are attempting to sell something to the public, you would put some kind of sales pitch out there. This company has nothing like that on their website. Although, if they've been in business for 30 years, perhaps they've been a "local" brick & mortar store that has decided to branch out into internet sales and gets most of their business via Amazon. Maybe the website was an afterthought due to excellent Amazon sales. I don't know. I was just speculating based on my professional experience with internet fraud.

ETA: I did mention that the website has a list of all the MSDS of all the FOs they sell. The MSDS have the address and phone number of the business. I just found it peculiar that it was not readily available on the website itself. Normally, good business practices would dictate that your business name, address and phone number would be readily available for clientele.
We have a lot of these small mom and pop businesses here in So Calif. I never went in there, and really not sure if it was an actual store front, but San Clemente an eclectic beachy town.

Yeah.... I don't pretend to know one way or another if they are "fraudulent" or not but if the scent is (nauseatingly) too strong for me, made my skin itch and feel funny AND I cant find information readily available on their products then I would just prefer to err on the side of caution and lean more toward companies that have more info, smell more pleasant etc.
New Question tho!! Anyone have any experience using the Almond Cybilla fragrance form brambleberry? I just made a batch of almond oatmeal last night and its great but I used 12 grams (somewhere between 10 and 14 which was the med-strong recommendation) and it still smells REALLY strong!? (its only been one day) its a bit much ... anyone think it will calm down? gosh this soap making stuff is hard!~~ I feel so disappointed when I mess up!! the soap LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!~~~

We have a lot of these small mom and pop businesses here in So Calif. I never went in there, and really not sure if it was an actual store front, but San Clemente an eclectic beachy town.

Sounds like a fun place.

Yeah.... I don't pretend to know one way or another if they are "fraudulent" or not but if the scent is (nauseatingly) too strong for me, made my skin itch and feel funny AND I cant find information readily available on their products then I would just prefer to err on the side of caution and lean more toward companies that have more info, smell more pleasant etc.
New Question tho!! Anyone have any experience using the Almond Cybilla fragrance form brambleberry? I just made a batch of almond oatmeal last night and its great but I used 12 grams (somewhere between 10 and 14 which was the med-strong recommendation) and it still smells REALLY strong!? (its only been one day) its a bit much ... anyone think it will calm down? gosh this soap making stuff is hard!~~ I feel so disappointed when I mess up!! the soap LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!~~~

It sounds like you have an issue with fragrances. Do you get migraines or have any common allergies? Instead of going with the standard amounts of fragrance listed in IFRA or URs, try half the amount. The next time you use that FO try using no more than 5 to 7 grams to see if you still find it to be strong. However, FOs do tend to fade as the soao cures.

Sounds like a fun place.
It sounds like you have an issue with fragrances. Do you get migraines or have any common allergies? Instead of going with the standard amounts of fragrance listed in IFRA or URs, try half the amount. The next time you use that FO try using no more than 5 to 7 grams to see if you still find it to be strong. However, FOs do tend to fade as the soao cures.

Nope, no issues. No migraines. Just overwhelming almond scent! I've used lavender, peppermint, orange 10x, lemongrass, lemonaide cocktail, vanilla etc all at full strength and I have LOVED them all.
Guess it's an experience thing, learn what seems right as you go! Full strength vanilla might just be a lot more pleasant than full strength almond. I do hope it tones down. I def won't be rebatching it, it's too adorable! Thanks for your input!

Here's a few pics of the plumeria soap! Just for fun. Original (layered) and the rebatch. (Slight confetti look). And it's turning out just fine and much milder now. Can't wait to try some of the rest of the shavings with a large plain batch and a hint of a tropical fruity smell I think that will be the perfect answer. (No idea why all the pics got turned sideways!! Is there a way for me to fix that? Uploading from my iPhone)

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

I have rarely seen such a pretty rebatch! I think you invented a pretty cool technique. Now I'm glad you had trouble with that FO :)

I have rarely seen such a pretty rebatch! I think you invented a pretty cool technique. Now I'm glad you had trouble with that FO :)

Awww thanks so much, Millie! How great to get some feedback! I'll say it again! I love this forum!! I couldn't see why mixing a CP batch with a HP Rebatch wouldn't work! I'm pretty glad I tried it too! Would definitely hate to see all that soap go to waste! I have to admit the pink is pretty :)

Last edited:
Back