Good patchouli fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you post the link to the 1942 bottle? I completely believe it but would at least like to read about it since I will never put my nose to it.

CaraBou, if I can find it again, I'll post it. I am an unabashed online info gatherer and frequently link-jump so I end up on all sorts of little-known, offbeat sites.

I couldn't find the 1942 patchouli but in searching for it, I ran across this:
http://www.pharmacyantiques.com/107-year-old-patchouli/

:)

^^Oh wow, how cool is that! I wonder what she paid for it. She doesn't even give a hint. She says it's not dirty hippy, which I think of as the sharpest notes, based on, well... I guess my hippy days :) I could be wrong about that, and say it lightly based on my experiences when a teenager and college student. I was just a kid during the real-deal era.

I bought an Indonesian Dark patchouli 2 1/4 two years ago (see here). It is relatively earthy and without those sharpest notes either. Maybe that's the difference between light and dark, I don't know. I still have about 1/3 of a 16 oz bottle left and try to use it sparingly. Luckily, a little goes a long way since it's so expensive. But I will not hesitate to buy another big bottle when this one runs out. As a hobbyist I don't say that about too many fragrances (lavender EO is another, but it's more risky due to variability). Small quantities of something you love is not wise financially $$

I like this idea and tinkered around last night. I did a sniffy of 2:1 bergamot and NDA's Light Patchouli and ended up with something that smelled almost exactly like fresh parsley.

Oh my! You've either mixed herbs in there or you've been smoking some!

JK. But I'm at a loss to explain your experience. Well, everyone's skin is different, I suppose their noses are too.

I bought an Indonesian Dark patchouli 2 1/4 two years ago (see here).

Oooh. That company (AV-AT) is 30 min from a house my husband and I own in western Maryland. That means that I can visit them in person!!! Of course, that will probably be quite damaging to the checkbook. :mrgreen:

Oooh. That company (AV-AT) is 30 min from a house my husband and I own in western Maryland. That means that I can visit them in person!!! Of course, that will probably be quite damaging to the checkbook. :mrgreen:

GET OUT!! You MUST go! One can never be within 100 miles of a fragrance house without stopping in. Call them to see if they take visitors. Beg them if they say no. There is no substitute for sniffing samples personally. I've done it twice in my life, and hope to do it many times more. Brambleberry's front store called Otion and Essential Depot

GET OUT!! You MUST go! One can never be within 100 miles of a fragrance house without stopping in. Call them to see if they take visitors. Beg them if they say no. There is no substitute for sniffing samples personally. I've done it twice in my life, and hope to do it many times more. Brambleberry's front store called Otion and Essential Depot

In looking at their website, I did see a mention about visiting them but I will absolutely call first. Our primary residence is further away (>100 miles) so it will take a bit of planning but is pretty easily doable. The biggest block is the weather as getting there involves climbing mountains!

^^Can't argue there. I've always wondered what the Appalachians looked like before they were weathered down. I am totally fascinated by geology and the time frames involved.

Back