odd reaction when adding lye...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, its been a month of curing now, so I figured I'd update.
Nice firm soap, good lather. No DOS (yet), and not real color change from the initial de-molding color..
Other than the expensive ingredients, about the only thing I can say is that the super fast trace time is a bit disconcerting. I don;t think I'd do this recipe again (because of the instant trace), but it does seem to be a pretty nice soap....

its been a long time since I made this soap, but I figured I'd finally follow up..
It cured fine, and has been a great soap. I'm using up the last few bars, and I've had no problems with DOS, shelf life, or anything else.
I think its a pretty nice soap, and guests have liked it as well.
oils used were equal amounts of coconut, peanut, and castor oil. It set incredibly fast - instantly - little tiny lumps formed making it really thick - no trace, just a quick seize. Put it into block molds, let it cool, cut into bars, let the bars dry for a couple of weeks, and stored the finished bars in baggies.

its been a long time since I made this soap, but I figured I'd finally follow up..
It cured fine, and has been a great soap. I'm using up the last few bars, and I've had no problems with DOS, shelf life, or anything else.
I think its a pretty nice soap, and guests have liked it as well.
oils used were equal amounts of coconut, peanut, and castor oil. It set incredibly fast - instantly - little tiny lumps formed making it really thick - no trace, just a quick seize. Put it into block molds, let it cool, cut into bars, let the bars dry for a couple of weeks, and stored the finished bars in baggies.
Thanks, James! I've been wondering about peanut oil as well as how much castor oil is too much. I'd never used castor oil until joining SMF. Added it to my most typical recipe at 5% and 10% and after 6 and 5 months, I notice no difference in the lather or feel of the bars. I've been hesitating to just use up what I have in a recipe because of so many posts saying it will make a sticky and "draggy" soap. This is the first thread I've seen about it being an accelerant. So, I thank you, kind sir, for this posting AND for the update! Now I'm armed and ready to finally use up that castor oil.

Thanks, James! I've been wondering about peanut oil as well as how much castor oil is too much. I'd never used castor oil until joining SMF. Added it to my most typical recipe at 5% and 10% and after 6 and 5 months, I notice no difference in the lather or feel of the bars. I've been hesitating to just use up what I have in a recipe because of so many posts saying it will make a sticky and "draggy" soap. This is the first thread I've seen about it being an accelerant. So, I thank you, kind sir, for this posting AND for the update! Now I'm armed and ready to finally use up that castor oil.
That's why I don't go beyond 5% with castor oil unless I make a liquid again.

edit- I meant liquid soap. Stupid brain...

Last edited:
Hi!
Have you ever tried dissolving Sugar Powdered or Granulated) at 1 tsp PPO in your Distilled Water before adding the Lye? It increases your Bubbles! Also, it was stated soap kept your in baggies. I would not recommend that you store them in plastic, especially after only a 2 week cure. The soap needs to breathe and continue to release excess water. The Plastic Bags may prevent or inhibit that process.

Latest posts

Back