Spa pairing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap nerd

Reaction score
I made all three of these items:

100% Cotton Wash Cloth
Reclaimed Wood Mahogany Soap Deck
Sassafras Tea with Honey and Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil Soap

Spa Collage.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty sure mahogany will turn dark from soap. Bummer -- it's very pretty. :(

Cherry, oak, redwood, cedar, and walnut, as well as mahogany and many other tropical woods will darken. Pine, maple, and poplar are not especially pretty but are safer bets for use with soap if you don't want discoloration.

If you think about these different woods -- the darker the wood, the more likely it is to not play well with soap.

Last edited:
"...mahogany will turn dark from soap...." <--- Just what I said. The wood turns dark from the alkalinity of the soap. The soap doesn't change much, unless there are dark particles from the wood that rub off onto the soap.

Last edited:
Thankyou DeeAnna, I knew you would know the rest of the woods that will not work well for soap decks :) Pine holds up forever. I do know Black Walnut will turn black from the soap, and figured mahogany would do the same.

Gorgeous! I just took up knitting, in part to knit my own washcloths and soap bags.
Knit or crochet the washcloths really tight since they stretch out immensely when wet. Using a tight pattern such as a basket weave works fairly well for washcloths

Love the photo setting! The wood dish, washcloth, soap,& that pretty ribbon!!!

That is some simple beauty right there.

Latest posts

Back