~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Classifieds Forum > Soap and Craft Swap > Home Sweet Home Comments

Old 02-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #71
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 364 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
I may have to beg the recipe from you if I can't come up with something on my own before next winter gets here.
No need to beg. I'm happy to share. For me, that's the spirit of the swap, sharing with others things we love, found useful or just smell nice. I'll also give you some of the variations that I make. The full winter cream is a bit richer and may even work better particularly if made without the IPM. Please give me a day or two and I'll post the recipe here.

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #72
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6343 Times on 3600 Posts
Likes Given: 13534

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
I searched out the thread as soon as someone said there was a thread about it. You've given me the push I needed to get everything for liquid soaps, hopefully by the time I need more I'll have a recipe to experiment with on my own!
If I were you, I would just use whatever oil blend you like the most in bar soap, then just click the KOH button instead of the NaOH button. That is what works out for me so far. I am thinking of using glycerin next time to maybe make filling those tubes easier, but I have enough made right now to last years. I can already tell you that everyone in the family is going to get some.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #73
mx6inpenn

Liked 304 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 115

First of all, thank you all so much for the goodies! It was fun to see what represents home to all of you. Can't wait for the next one!

Steve
- Love the box! The time you put into all of those must have been tremendous and is much appreciated. Your soap smells so fresh and clean.

Jules - I love anything peach scented and I can definitely smell it in your soap. The wispy swirls are beautiful and always what I aim for and rarely achieve! The lovely celery salt is yummy added to a tuna salad sandwich too.

LanaBanana - The soft pink was a great choice for the inside of a seashell. I love sand dollars, the scrubby is a perfect representation! Your packaging was very nice, it must have taken a good bit of time to cut and fold all those boxes to fit them just right!

Doriettefarm - I've been using your lotion for about a week now and love it. It absorbs very nicely and doesn't leavethat greasy feeling on my hands. The lip scrub is yummy! I never would have thought to add vanilla beans to one, but it is a great addition!

BattleGnome - I love that you used the cherry wine in your soaps! My 4 year old confiscated the pencils and pencil sharpener, she loves seeing the color change.

Snappy Llama - I've been wanting to try a pine tar soap, but haven't seen any for sale locally. Thanks for the opportunity. I like the smoky scent and your use line! I also appreciate the spatula, can always use more of those.

Carabou - Your lip scrub is so smooth and silky feeling its hard to believe it works as well as it does! The Barley bar has a place of honor on the soapdish at the sink in the downstairs bathroom. My 2 youngest are good about washing their hands normally (bubbles are fun!) but they haven't needed *any* reminders or 2nd requests for the last week. I love the rosemary mint scent too.

DixieDragon - Jonquil Spring smells like the real thing! Makes me want to poke my head out the front door to see if the daffodils are poking up yet, even though the flower beds are still covered in snow. It also does just what its supposed to on my dry winter skin. Your lip balms are great! I managed to try the caramel toffee before I had to give it up. My daughter asks for her "lipstick" several times a day and always does the lip smack when she's done.

Redhead - Beautiful packaging, lovely scent, and great pencil line! Thank you for sharing the story behind it. I also love Auntie Clara's dappled soap and it is on my list of things to try. Your version is just as pretty!

Shunt - Your colors and swirls are perfect for the apple blossom scent. I've been wanting to try a bar with silk, so thanks for the chance to do so without making my own!

Theresa - What a treat to have an Aleppo style soap to try! It will be hard to wait til January 2018, but I will do it (have to do the pep talk)! My husband and I both smell olive oil and "green" from it. The green is not like grass or tomato plants, but definitely something green growing, maybe a combination of young parsley, cilantro and celery is what we've pondered. I'm saving the powder for the humid days of summer.

Susie
- Love the soft piney scent of the soap! I haven't tried a bar with lard, tallow and palm, so this is great. The Soap2Go is traveling to work with me each day. I finally have a way to avoid the harsh anti-bacterial stuff and I will be soooo sad when its gone!

AMD - It seems a few of us associate pines with home. If I had been wishing for winter when I made mine, its what I would have used too. Your sunrise is beautiful! You did an excellent job on both the mountains and the swirling colors in the sky.

Earlene - I received a clover coupe, which my 2 year old son is loving! Great detail with the head and tail lights. I really like the sandalwood/litsea combo. The pastel whimsy traveling soap is so pretty, my favorite color, and as fitting as the coupe with the story behind home to you!

DragonGirl - My kids have claimed the paw print as soon as it is ready. Lemongrass is one of my favorite EO, it smells so good!

OSSO - I really like your labels! I love the scent and your lake to sky swirl. That is a beautiful shade of blue!

Soapmaker - You sent so many things, I save you for last! First of all, thank you for the clay. Your winter survival cream works wonders on my dry, scaly winter hands. I've been putting some on before bed and I have soft hands in the morning. I still can't see what you dislike about the pumpkin mosaic soap, its beautiful! I love the gingery scent and the hint of ginger in the white tea and neroli as well. The orange chili pepper is a nice subtle scent, not what I expected from chili pepper. My 15 year old son has claimed it, he loves the scent! My husband has the green thumb in our house, I plan and help with plants, but he does most of the work. We grow a lot in a small area too. I was very intrigued when you first started posting about the turmeric soap because we use it and I had no idea it would grow here. You inspired the addition of it to this year's garden plans.

Last edited by mx6inpenn; 02-18-2017 at 05:56 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #74
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

This is just a reminder that my swap soaps still need to cure except for the pumpkin piece. The other 2 were poured in January.

I got hit with the flu this week and it took away my sense of smell. I look at my box overflowing with beautiful things that I can't smell. So not fair. My reviews will have to wait.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #75
jules92207
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1496 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Thank you everyone that has already commented! I have my lovely box sitting ready for me to review but I have had guests every darn weekend this month and haven't had time to do much but take pieces out, smell, touch, and admire and back in the box they go. I've had to fight the kids to keep them out too! My daughter keeps trying to steal Dixiedragon's lip glosses and my son wants the hummer soap so bad!

Thank you all, everything is so awesome. I will give every one their due attention I hope tomorrow. Yea Holiday!
People Like This 
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #76
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Here is the recipe for the winter survival cream:

Water Phase: autoclaved deionized Water 59%, Glycerin 3%
Emulsifier: Cream Maker (8%), Lotionpro 165 (2%). If you drop the oils to around 20%, you won't need the lotionpro. I added it just to be on the safe side since I was working at the limit of what CreamMaker can handle. The CreamMaker is the same as Ecomulse. It is probably the most "natural" synthetic emulsifier since its components can be easily degraded into recognizable basic chemicals.
Oil Phase: Hazelnut oil (8%), Mango Butter (5%), Avocado oil (3%), Beeswax (2%), Cera Belina (2%) cetyl alcohol (2%), Isopropyl myristate (2%), dimethicone (2%), Carrot Seed oil (1%).

At cool down:
Sea Buckthorn oil (this is the one extracted from the flesh of the fruit and is full of carotenoids which turns it very dark red. I add it with a dropper to get a light yellow color).
Liquid Germall Plus (0.5%)
BB Vanilla Rosewood (0.5%)

I used the heat and hold method. Let me know if you need more info.

If you use an equal mix of shea and mango butters, the end result is less dry and is more suitable for cold weather.

For my face, I take out the Mango butter and drop the hazelnut to 7% and use meadowfoam, rosehip and FCO at 2% each. I also use helichrysum EO (the french variety) at 1% and skip the FO. The oil mix always starts with Omega9 then I add some long and short fatty acids and Omega3. Omega 6 comes on its own because it is fairly abundant in most oils. Avocado (or macademia) will bring in palmitoleic, a fatty acid that my skin seems to like. If you decide to play, start with Omega 9 oils on their own then try adding others by type of fatty acid until you find the optimal combination for you. There is no universal mix that is ideal for everybody.

For additions: I like bamboo and chamomile extract at 1% each and NaLactate at 3%.

If you take out the IPM, it will take a lot longer for the oils to absorb (15 to 20 min) but the end result is much nicer and lasts longer. I think it's because the oils get broken down by the bacteria on the skin and become more readily usable (in the form of free fatty acids) to repair the skin.

People Like This