Soap Slivers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerrube

Reaction score
Not sure the best place to ask this question, so thought I'd put it here. If there is already a post on this, feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leftover soap slivers. My husband does not like them being attached to a new bar of soap, so I'm trying to find another way to use that soap.

I recently tried an option I saw online, but it didn't go well. The quick idea of it was to cover a bunch of the soap slivers in a pan with water, let them soak for a day, then turn on the heat to melt it down, then once that happens to add some olive oil, then add to a mold.

Some seemed to melt just fine. Some of the soap turned jelly like when I tried this. If this is the best way to reuse soap slivers, can you point me to what I may have done wrong? They were all homemade basic soaps. Nothing store bought.

Or is there a better way to reuse the extra soap?

I really hate wasting all that soap. I appreciate any insight!

I use these. I just put all my little soap nubs inside, close the drawstring, and use it to scrub my footsies when I shower.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean used soap slivers? At first I thought you meant the ends cut off newly made soap.

If it is the former, and I'm guessing that's probably what you mean, this is what I used to do with them before I started making my own bar soap:

I would save them in a plastic strawberry basket (lots of air flow) to dry thoroughly. Then when ever I next made homemade laundry soap, I grated them up with the fels naptha soap that I used in the recipe.

Now, I just use the soap until it melts away into oblivion. Previously we tried putting end pieces in those mesh soap saver bags, but even though it hangs suspended in air constantly, the soap always remains soft and wet. IMO that is a breeding ground for bacteria and I don't recommend the thick mesh soap saver bags. The thinner ones are probably fine as long as the soap and the bag do dry out completely between uses.

What do you mean by "attached" to a new bar?

I'm just curious about people who have all of these soap slivers hanging around? I'm trying to think what I do with mine...I suppose I use it until it is small enough that, when it drop it in the bath tub, it goes down the drain?

I'm just curious about people who have all of these soap slivers hanging around? I'm trying to think what I do with mine...I suppose I use it until it is small enough that, when it drop it in the bath tub, it goes down the drain?

This is pretty much my SOP. Sometimes I will let 2 or 3 (cause of course I usually have that many big bars going at once) dry on top of each other so they stick together, and make melded bar. Get some odd scent combos that way. LOL

This is pretty much my SOP. Sometimes I will let 2 or 3 (cause of course I usually have that many big bars going at once) dry on top of each other so they stick together, and make melded bar. Get some odd scent combos that way. LOL

I just threw away a 6 remnant "bar" of soap that had everything from honeysuckle to spices to peppermint. It was "interesting". I decided that I make the stuff, so I am occasionally entitled to a new bar for myself. Normally I only get the tester/sample ends.

I just threw away a 6 remnant "bar" of soap that had everything from honeysuckle to spices to peppermint. It was "interesting". I decided that I make the stuff, so I am occasionally entitled to a new bar for myself. Normally I only get the tester/sample ends.

Sounds like me! I am always using the ugly bars, the ends, the bar with the hole, etc. I rarely ever use one of the pretty bars I make for myself.

Of course, these days, I'm using swap bars!

Back