~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > February 2017 SMF Soap Challenge- Ebru Soaps

Old Today, 01:13 AM   #101
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 4267 Times on 1847 Posts
Likes Given: 353

I like that one too, Howie! The layering idea makes for more interesting use of the bar as well, don't you think? Oh, your patience in pouring so many dots so precisely is something I admire.

I am very heavy handed with micas and I think I used 8 or 9 colors across a range, which makes it pretty colorful. Not everyone likes that much going on in a bar, but that's a style thing. I pour thin lines of each color twice (so 16-18 lines) across the slab, then zig zag across the lines from side to side, but not super close, then zig zag across those lines from top to bottom. (You can pour the first lines of soap across the short length of the mold and then zig zag from top to bottom and then side to side depending on which way you want your thin lines to run.) You get very very fine lines of color that way. From that Taiwan look, you can finish with another swirl to get your final pattern. The trick is doing it all with your soap still pretty fluid.

Old Today, 01:24 AM   #102
suburbanrancher

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

newbie, that last one I just cannot stop looking at it. It is SO PRETTY and so fascinating to look at.

newbie Likes This 
Old Today, 02:56 AM   #103
BattleGnome

Liked 253 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Posting my only attempt here. While I did follow the process for peacock and DNA swirls there isn't enough space in single cavity molds to truest count as ebru in my opinion. I definitely won't get a chance to soap in the next 24 hours to make an actual entry.

My highly experimental 75% lard, 25% olive with green tea scented green and honey scented white. First pic was right after pour. Second pic, after CPOP and three days before it was firm enough to unmold. The third pic was from a few days ago with a hefty dose of ash to separate the colors. I was hoping to play with black tea and maple for my next attempt but that might have to wait for March's challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0213.jpg   IMG_0217.jpg   IMG_0251.jpg  
People Like This 
Old Today, 03:56 AM   #104
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1118 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

BattleGnome, I really like the one on the bottom left in the second picture. The colors fit so well with the scents your chose. I'll bet they will be fabulous bars.