Green Olive Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to get crude pomace olive oil to truly see if it makes the resulting soap green. With many producers of soap using it and adding no colorants and their soap being green, I'm inclined to believe it will make the soap green.

I got crude olive Pomace from my local olive farm. It was s murky dark brown. It would not make green soap. The owner said her grandmother made soap with it in Italy but it was cream.

I got crude olive Pomace from my local olive farm. It was s murky dark brown. It would not make green soap. The owner said her grandmother made soap with it in Italy but it was cream.

So did you make 100% OO soap from it and did it turn out cream colored? Also, can you cook with it?

Crude pomace olive oil should look very green and big soap producers use it to make their olive oil soap green without colorants.

So did you make 100% OO soap from it and did it turn out cream colored? Also, can you cook with it?

You should not cook with crude pomace olive oil as it is unrefined.

Crude pomace olive oil should look very green and big soap producers use it to make their olive oil soap green without colorants.

It is totally unrefined. Includes all the junk - doesn't look like oil. I think this is unrefined pomace. I do not know for sure. You have to boil the stuff I got for hours to use it for soap. It's what was traditionally used for soap. It's not what you would buy to use for cooking. It would have to be pressed or chemically separated first. I tried to strain it off and a whole lot of brown gunk was left behind and some clear oil (not as green as EVOO) was filtered out.

Last edited:
It is totally unrefined. Includes all the junk - doesn't look like oil. I think this is unrefined pomace. I do not know for sure. You have to boil the stuff I got for hours to use it for soap. It's what was traditionally used for soap. It's not what you would buy to use for cooking. It would have to be pressed or chemically separated first. I tried to strain it off and a whole lot of brown gunk was left behind and some clear oil (not as green as EVOO) was filtered out.

Are you sure that was crude pomace olive oil as it should look like this

Mine wasn't like that. I am sorry I can't be more precise but mine was sludgy brown. (I took it back and exchanged it for EVOO) I think it was olive paste. Or maybe whatever is left over after the first press?

Apparently it is whatever Italians used to use years ago to make soap (HP method) they didn't use the oil they ate. To get good OO (that looked like OO but was a golden colour) I had to strain it through kitchen paper overnight.

Raw pomace oil isn't edible, but refined pomace oil is. It's the raw pomace that's very green (assuming green olives) and nearly unobtainable. The green is from chlorophyll, so I've been meaning to try some chlorophyll from the supplements aisle to see if the "pomace effect" on soap color can be duplicated that way. I would not expect it to remain green over time, but maybe it would stay green on the inside like Aleppo soap does.

Raw pomace oil isn't edible, but refined pomace oil is. It's the raw pomace that's very green (assuming green olives) and nearly unobtainable. The green is from chlorophyll, so I've been meaning to try some chlorophyll from the supplements aisle to see if the "pomace effect" on soap color can be duplicated that way. I would not expect it to remain green over time, but maybe it would stay green on the inside like Aleppo soap does.

I have found someone that sells crude pomace here. However he only ships in pretty big quantities. Although he did say he will ship to California soon and you could get around 10 liters.

I have found someone that sells crude pomace here. However he only ships in pretty big quantities. Although he did say he will ship to California soon and you could get around 10 liters.

Thanks for the info! That's the most optimistic thing I've seen. With shipping from Turkey, I wonder if the pomace oil might cost considerably more than the finest California olive oil. :)

Thanks for the info! That's the most optimistic thing I've seen. With shipping from Turkey, I wonder if the pomace oil might cost considerably more than the finest California olive oil. :)

The cost for one liter is $14 including shipping so it is still cheaper than the premium stuff lol. This is the only source I can find that doesn't require you buy very large quantities like thousands of liters, which is weird.

Personally I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble/expense to get Pomace OO. The OO has been extracted using chemicals from the final stage of OO processing. It's not the best stuff to use all on the assumption that you will get a bit of green.

No wonder OO is not a staple in USA handmade soap at that price!

Personally I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble/expense to get Pomace OO. The OO has been extracted using chemicals from the final stage of OO processing. It's not the best stuff to use all on the assumption that you will get a bit of green.

No wonder OO is not a staple in USA handmade soap at that price!

Don't they only use hexane during processing, which isn't harmful. Also any impurities will get eaten by the lye monster.

Don't they only use hexane during processing, which isn't harmful. Also any impurities will get eaten by the lye monster.

I prefer to use cold processed pure oil. Each to their own but I believe that the properties of oils and chemicals in soap can transfer through your skin so I believe the purer the ingredients the better it is for you.

Not everyone uses handmade soap for the same reasons but I use it so I can control (or at least know) what is in it. Pomace isn't regulated like EVOO so it can have a lot of other "stuff" in it. I choose not to risk it.

Back