How fancy do bath bombs need to be?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
For those of you who sell these (or even those of you who buy them :), how ornate do these suckers need to be in order to sell reasonably well? I'm developing my bomb line now. Was planning on 5-8 varieties. The original plan was that each one would have something visually 'special' going on (lavender would have lavender buds stuck to it, another scent might use decorative embeds, higher end bubble bomb would have a different shape, etc).. If I really need to do all this, fine and dandy- but is it necessary? Would they sell just as well if I just do simple 2 color rings? Anyway, just wondering what others have found.

When purchasing, I care more about fragrance and exterior color than anything else.

I cannot see the embeds, so I don't care about them. I've made them for the fun of it, but if they aren't visible I wouldn't necessarily buy a bath bomb for that. I might once or twice consider buying one that is supposed to spin, but only as a novelty. Not something I'd care about on an ongoing basis.

I would not buy a bath bomb that has what I consider to be superlative debris, such as lavender buds and/or other flowers or herbs because I don't want to have to clean that up. Not off my body and not in the tub.

I agree with Earlene, no botanicals (buds, leaves etc.) in my tub so none in the bath bombs I make. My customers love the way the bombs make their skin feel.
I do color them to make them look nice.

Most people I know don't really care much about embeds, but prefer strong coloration and good fragrance. People also seem to like glitter (biodegradable). It's nice to have a blend of unique and original ideas as well as some basic ones (lavender, with no embeds to lower the price, cotton candy, etc.) I really just care about how well the seller's description of a product, the picture as well as the price. If you want more profit, you can cut extra things like shape and embeds and probably still make good money if you advertise well.

I also don't care to add botanical or herbs to bath bombs. Maybe because I am lazy and want a bath to be relaxing. I don't want to be spending time unclogging a drain after a bath.

That said, I enjoy making fancy embeds and doing decorative painting to match scents. It's fun for me but may be too tedious for some. After all, they just fizz away. My testers have all said, color, scent and how moisturizing their skin feels is most important.

Back