Which palm from Soaper's Choice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catastrophe

Reaction score
I have never really worked with palm, and I would like to play with it.

Is there a big difference in soap with the homogenized vs non-homogenized? I know the non has to be melted and stirred every time, so obviously the homogenized appeals, but does it make a difference in soap?

No it makes no difference. I use palm shortening which is homogenized and in side by side test there were no differences in the two. I used to purchase palm in 35lb buckets and I never melted it before scooping it out of the bucket. In fact I hate dealing with buckets of melted oils. I would scoop out from different areas of the bucket and never had a problem, but I much prefer my 50lb blocks of palm shortening which costs me around $27.00 from a restaurant supply

What is the supply store you get it from? Thanks!
Unfortunetly I believe they are only located in California, Smart & Final. I would check if you have any restaruant supply stores nearby. Sams Club or Costco do not carry it. It is distributed by Amerifoods. You might call them and inquire if they distribue to any business in your area. 1-323-869-7500 T

Unfortunetly I believe they are only located in California, Smart & Final. I would check if you have any restaruant supply stores nearby. Sams Club or Costco do not carry it. It is distributed by Amerifoods. You might call them and inquire if they distribue to any business in your area. 1-323-869-7500 T

Oh I remember them... years ago there was a S&F in Bishop, CA, when I lived near there. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that in NC. Hmmmmm. Thanks for the Amerifoods number, that's a good idea.

Just checked out the Smart & Final (aka Cash & Carry) locations and it looks like it's just in western states.

Hey Scooter, I lived in Bishop back in the early '80's!

I lived in that area in the mid-80s. Gorgeous country... oh and I moved back to Mammoth and lived there for about a year in '88. One of my regrets is I wish I had done more horseback riding and gotten a job leading mule trains into the Sierra. Oh well, when you're young you think you will have time for anything and everything.

I don't know if it's the same company, but I found an Amerifoods in Chatanooga, TN. I keep forgetting to call and see if they have the palm on the Eastern side of the US.

Thanks everyone! I was hoping I could use the homogenized!

Woooohooooo, I don't think that Amerifoods is the same, but I just found a supplier for tallow, not too far from the Lye Guy and I need to visit him soon, anyway. It isn't a whole lot cheaper than Soaper's Choice, but no shipping ROCKS. I don't think the guy really understood what I was looking for, but he said they have some sort of olive oil for $7.49/gallon, so I guess it's about time to take a trip and check out the store!

Back