• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

How does the co-op work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A co-op is when multiple persons split a large order to save money. EX) If cocoa butter is $1.00 per pound but you can buy 100#s for $50.00, all you have to do is find enough people to split that order with you and everyone saves big. The co-op hostess has a lot of work on his/her hands though collecting money, ordering, splitting up the order & shipping. Some hostesses will charge a small hostess fee, 2-3 dollars.

A swap is when everyone sends in their finished product, the hostess divides up all the goodies and sends back a sampler box to everyone who shipped in.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, Tabitha. That makes perfect sense. That's kind of what I assumed. It just seemed like SO MUCH WORK for the "host/hostess," but if they charge a bit to each person in the co-op that would make a little more sense AND if they pass on shipping charges to everyone. I guess with shipping adding so much to everyone's costs, I didn't really see how it would save all of us money, but I guess if the host/hostess bought large enough quantities it could save quite a bit for everyone. I've never been involved in one, but certainly interested. :)

Thanks for answering the question!

The quantity discount on some things is just amazing, so you can really get some great prices. If I had a pet-free area to work/repackage stuff in, I'd love to do an oil co-op and maybe some colorants (mmm, TKB micas) and fragrances.

When I was just getting started i did co-ops and the hostess fee I collected made my supplies free. It was a ton of work though. getting everyone's payments, collecting correct shipping charges, etc. back then I had just had a baby & was at home 24/7 so I had more time than money and it worked well for me.

You do have to decide if the amount of work involved is worth the amount of money saved.

I've done swaps before on a primitive craft forum and was a swap mamma on one swap.

What we did was everyone put their name down who wanted to be in it and we worked out a theme and a cut off date for them to be done.Say there were 8 in the swap,you'd make 8 soaps, keep 1 and post 7 to the swap mamma with a postage paid envelope with it, then when all the swaps had been received the swap mamma would put one of each soap in the bag and send back to the recipient.The approximate weight of the parcel would have to be worked out in advance so the prepaid could be bought.

Not sure how we could do a co-op buy. I suppose we would all want different items.
Just thinking out loud.

Relle.

TessV said:
The quantity discount on some things is just amazing, so you can really get some great prices. If I had a pet-free area to work/repackage stuff in, I'd love to do an oil co-op and maybe some colorants (mmm, TKB micas) and fragrances.
I sure could go for a Mica co-op too

I'm also interesting mica.

CO-OP is very popular in here, in enterprise, some dept. do co-op to save money. Some companies are allowed it and treat it as one communication way.
Some companies live by CO-OP business.
Such as steak, B&B business, they go to a company in launch time, then cooking steak in company and many people will come and testing.
The most popular CO-OP in here is snack business.

Like, my business, I sell soap making equipment, such as soap molds.
In some countries, we do CO-OP, such as 100 pieces CO-OP, I will give them discount.
However, the leader of CO-OP is very important. Specially, ladies.

Maybe, I shall try this way sell in here.

Co-Ops

Has there been any discussion about starting a co-op in southern Ontario, Canada. ?
I have not been following this blog, so would really be interested in information , if there is a Canadian co-op presently working.

Latest posts

Back