Nailed it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
So after managing to successfully and repeatedly make soap without it volcanoing, separating, overheating, glycerin rivering, or any of the other fun stuff that soap can do, I finally decided to try making a swirl. And not just any swirl - a butterfly swirl. After worshiping the butterfly swirl from Handmade in Florida, I decided to give it a try.
DSC_3027.jpg

To me it is the perfect bar - simple and bold, with a limited color pallet and flawless execution. I used some dried orange peel to imitate the small flakes in the soap and went with orange, patchouli and palmarosa EO blend. Nailed it.

Untitled_1.jpg

Untitled_2.jpg

Oh my lordy, I love some of the "nailed it" sites I've seen. I really hope that you don't mind the wheezy laugh you coaxed from my cold-ridden lungs especially when I looked at the last bar that barely had any swirl in it.

Honestly though, I like the texture you got from the orange peel, although I will grant you that is not QUITE as subtle in Florida's. In this forum, people are endlessly encouraging, which is one reason I love it, but I remember the time I posted a picture of a mis-shapen poorly colored and swirled soap I made when I was trying to get an effect someone else had gotten, and nobody laughed at it. I was so disappointed because there are times you just have to crack up at yourself. Know that you have a kindred spirit in me.

It's always good to laugh at ourselves- and accept our creations at the very same time. What's so bad is that HIF made it all look so easy!

Well at least you did get something resembling a butterfly Silver - that's more than I can say for most of my attempts!

Silver I can only comment on the orange peel. I've never attempted much beyond a ITP swirl or a Clyde slide.
I made a batch of soap with orange peel way back. I came across a bar from that batch and visually could not see any of the orange peel. The first bathing experience was great...a really nice soap. The second time I had now come into contact with the orange peel. To say it could be used to remove hair or back in the 80's there was a process called dermabrasion that one of my clients under went.So it's now relegated as a scrub or if I ever want to tan hides I'm sure its qualities would come in useful at some point in the process....

I love the Nailed It websites too. Especially the cake decorating ones. Ohmygosh I laugh so hard I cry. I have made a few 'Nailed It' - worthy projects myself, in soap and other crafts. It is great when we can laugh at our beginner's escapades. I haven't tried a butterfly swirl yet but I don't imagine the first will come out well. Looks like a practice makes perfect kind of thing. Love your photos! Just keep practicing, and you are still ahead of me!

Oh this soap was so ugly I just HAD to share it with the world =P. Its going right for the re-batch bin and I am calling quits on attempting swirls for a good long while. This was me being a wee bit too ambitious I suppose. At this point I kind of wish it didn't have the sad swirl attempt at all, and it was just a spotted bar, haha.
Thanks for the point out the orange peel - I have not tried it before and I will need to see just how exfoliating it is (hope its not sharp or pointy).
Thank you for the heads up on the metal pan too - I usually just use it for cutting purposes (makes cleaning a lot easier) but its good to know that it is a no-no for curing.
Thanks everyone for the likes and the encouraging comments. Ill just stick to solid colors for now =).

Actually I would not let the soap touch bare metal at any time. Put down a piece of freezer/parchment/wax paper to line the tray.

Oh this soap was so ugly I just HAD to share it with the world =P. Its going right for the re-batch bin and I am calling quits on attempting swirls for a good long while. This was me being a wee bit too ambitious I suppose.
Thanks everyone for the likes and the encouraging comments. Ill just stick to solid colors for now =).

You know the really annoying thing about swirls (once you've got emulsion stage down pat) is that they take lots and lots of practice. Don't give up. Make smaller batches and practice, practice, practice!

Also I agree with kchaystack never put your soap on metal even to cut.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this nailed it joke. When I first read your post, I thought you honestly believed you copied the first soap perfectly. I didn't want to be "Debbie Downer" and comment that they looked slightly different. :)

Once, I realized you were kidding, it totally cracked me up. You have a great sense of humor! I bet they smell great!

I have never heard of this nailed it joke. When I first read your post, I thought you honestly believed you copied the first soap perfectly. I didn't want to be "Debbie Downer" and comment that they looked slightly different. :)

Once, I realized you were kidding, it totally cracked me up. You have a great sense of humor! I bet they smell great!

Thank you for saying that Luviesmom. Me, too. Exactly what I thought.

I had to Google the term to learn it had a different meaning than the traditional one I learned. To me 'Nailed it' has always meant you got it right, succeeded in your endeavor. I was flumoxed when I read the first and then the next post in this thread. When I found out it has a common use as a sarcastic term and I was unaware, I felt so out of touch and didn't have the courage to tell on myself. I am so glad I am not the only one!

Well, it's better than any butterfly swirl I could ever make! Even though I've been making soap for many years, swirling is something that just escapes me. Have you ever tried a spoon swirl? Even someone as swirl challenged as myself, can manage a pretty nice spoon swirl. And remember...it's nice to have soap that looks good, but what really matters is, how does it make your skin feel? That's the real test. :)

Back