Coconut Oil Woes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunsaaegi

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am fairly new to the world of home made soap so I may sound silly. I thought it would be a lovely idea to get some home made Guinness stoat soap as part of the gifts for my fiance's groomsmen for our September wedding. I did not realize that coconut oil is such a prominent ingredient in soap. Our best man and maid of honor are a couple. She has a horrible allergy to all things coconut. Is there someone out there that substitutes for coconut oil? I'd like to keep the gifts the way they are.

Welcome to the forum.

Babassu oil and palm kernel oil have similar properties to coconut oil

I just made my first soap with PKO recently that didn't have CO in it, so I am excited to see how that works out! Also, if you post your recipe, there are plenty of knowledgeable soapers on here who can help make suggestions! This is a great place, welcome!

I mainly use coconut oil cause it makes bubbles. Non cleansing soaps still get you clean. So I just use castor oil to make my soaps more bubbly when I'm not using coconut

I very rarely use coconut oil in my soaps, I use palm kernel oil instead, it's a tad bit more conditioning and doesen't seem to bother as many people as coconut oil. ( plus I can't stand the way coconut oil smells in soap). Give it a try and see what you think.

Coconut oil is not necessary.

However, as babassu and palm kernel are quite similar in chemical composition to coconut, you might want to do a skin test with your friend to make sure they don't have a sensitivity. You could rub a small amount of the oil on the skin as a patch test.

Olive oil, avocado oil, palm (or lard), and cocoa butter makes a very nice soap that lathers well.

Latest posts

Back