MP Colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetTopanga

Reaction score
Is there a generally accepted amount of time to wait between colors when doing MP soap? I'm having a hard time timing it correctly. They either blend together or seperate. I made this really cool candy corn soap but then it came apart. Le sigh. Oh, also, can I just melt some soap and use it as glue to put it back together? Thanks!

Dana

You may have forgotten to spray some alcohol between so that it sticks together and wait a while until the soap is pretty touchable and not too hard.

pepperi27 said:
You may have forgotten to spray some alcohol between so that it sticks together and wait a while until the soap is pretty touchable and not too hard.

Yes, alcohol works best. Make sure the first layer has a "skin" on top, spray than pour the second layer on top over a spoon.

Irena

Thanks guys. I was spraying with alcohol, but I don't really think I was using enough. I was afraid the soap would come out smelling like alcohol, but I tried it with some watermelon scented soap that I did green on the bottom and pink on top. I used quite a bit of alcohol this time. Stayed together and didn't smell anthing like alcohol. You guys rock!

Dana

I would let the 1st layer harden completely. If it just has a skin it will probably pop when the second hot layer hits it, which is a cook effect, you can then swirl it lightly w/ a popsicle stick, etc. Mist the heck out of it w/ the alcohol & pour the second layer while the alcohol is still wet. Don't worry, the alcohol will evaporate.

Grrrr. Tabitha, I tried the swirling but I'm too slow. Lol. The whole bottom was solid by the time I poured the top and tried to mix. So I just ended up poking holes with a toothpick all the way to the bottom hoping maybe I could get a polka dotted effect, but I just got 2 seperate layers. How long did it take all you guys to learn all this stuff? I know I have to give it more time than a month, but I'm just curious. Also, how often do you all make soap? Is it everyday? I'm working on about four days a week a so....

I *try* to make M&P just about 8 times a year. Before the beginning of each season & then for each big Holiday. I am the type to make a TON & when it runs out, it runs out untill my next big soap making day.

OK, so that last message I left was super misleading, I make soap about 8 times a year for my shop shelves. I pick abbout 8 scents a season and make novelty soaps for each gifty Holiday.

ALSO: I make soap ( and B&Bitems) 1 day a week for my wholesale and custom orders. That was the part I left out :lol: .

Ah. That makes slightly more sense. Lol. I suppose eventually once I learn what the heck I'm doing, I won't be spending half of my waking life making soap. But it's fun. At this point I wouldn't mind adding a couple of more days a week. But ask me how I feel in a year! Lol. I'm asking the hubby for stuff to make CP soap for my birthday. I hope he comes through!

Back