Greasy feeling soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run1251

Reaction score
I made my first melt and pour soap today and it looks and smells awesome! I'm really pumped except that it feels greasy. I used dried lavender flowers and crushed dried rosemary leaves so I added 6 Vitamin E capsules with the liquid squeezed out of the capsule. I'm wondering if I used too much or is this the sweating that I read about. Will it correct itself if I let it sit out for a day or so before I put it in plastic?

Leave it out a day to dry out a bit. If there are actual water droplets on the soap you can dab them off with a paper towel. If it is very humid where you live it may be sweating but I suspect it was just made, and may just need to rest a day for the temperatures to even out after being melted and possibly refridgerated and/ or frozen.

Additives to M&P can be tricky. 1/2 tsp pp of base seems to be the average from what I've researched. Maybe Lisa M or Ellacho will chime in. Please let us know if the vit e absorbed.

I made my first melt and pour soap today and it looks and smells awesome! I'm really pumped except that it feels greasy. I used dried lavender flowers and crushed dried rosemary leaves so I added 6 Vitamin E capsules with the liquid squeezed out of the capsule. I'm wondering if I used too much or is this the sweating that I read about. Will it correct itself if I let it sit out for a day or so before I put it in plastic?

Congratulations on making soap! :)

I hope I can answer your question, but first need to know how much soap base you used?

Congrats on your first MP soap! You will be hooked for life :).

As Lisamaliga said, need to how much MP base you used.

I assume you used the one individual mold(3.5 or 4 oz), if so, yes, 6 capsules of Vitamin E can make your soap greasy.

I used 1 pound of melt and pour goats milk base, added oatmeal, scent and 6 vitamin E tablets to one batch and used one pound melt and pour goats milk base, ground up Rosemary leaves, scent and 6 Vitamin E tablets to the other batch. I added the Vitamin E because I read that prevents mold on the oatmeal and Rosemary. I let it sit out for 3 days and it dried considerably. I want to add leaves and flowers to my soap so I think I will need to add Vit. E to most of them. I had a hard time finding recipes that said how many E capsules to add. They all just said add Vit. E. They still seem a little greasy but are much better.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1424098146.724364.jpg

Run1251 those soaps came out lovely. Well done :)!

If you added 6 capsules in one pound of MP base, it's definitely not too much, in my opinion. Perhaps the vitamin E did not disperse well with the soap when you first tested it out.

It sounds like she added 12 capsules to 1 lb of base because she made 2 batches of soap and added 6 capsules to each. I dunno how much vitamin e is in each capsule, but I would assume that 6 capsules per 8 oz of base is too much

Sorry for the confusion. I added the contents of 6 capsules in each 1 pound of base. They really did turn out pretty.

Thanks for clarifying the amount.
As you've now learned, 1 capsule is enough.
Generally, 1 Tablespoon per pound is the guide for additives.
Happy Soaping! :)

Back