"KA-BLAMMO" and "Oops" (my first soap volcano + phone faux pas)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
I had my first soap volcano today. Then I accidentally posted about it in the candle making forum but was unable to figure out how to delete it. My apologies. Hopefully this means I'm getting my Monday over with early.

:headbanging:

I think I soaped too hot after trying to melt the palm (10% Avocado, 90% Palm, 30% lye concentration, 2% superfat). Since I'd poured into individual soap molds, it ended up looking like a soufflé gone wrong... So I just grabbed a spoon, shoved as much as I could back into the molds, and moved the tray to a cooler area.

Oh well... This is going to be an ugly soap. I just hope it holds together and doesn't make soap scraps. It is a bar, but it is mottled and awkward. Poor duckling.

Kaye

P.S. I did say oops, but my soap didn't actually say KA-BLAMMO. I added the sound in my head.

20170326_122945.jpg

20170326_134919.jpg

Last edited:
On the bright side, the topside doesn't look too shabby. :) I don't know if you have oatmeal in it, but it looks like a nice oatmeal soap. Or a nice oatmeal/pumice stone soap. If you have a planer, you can just plane the shaggy bottoms off.

That was a lot of palm oil. How hot or cool did you soap it?

IrishLass :)

They really do not look bad, and I agree with IrishLass to just plane off the bottom. But 40% palm is the highest I ever go. When I tested 100% palm oil soaps they were awful. Hard, waxy no lather. My tests were really not to know how it felt, but to test if palm versus homogenized palm (palm shortening) had any difference in soaping. Nope it did not

They really do not look bad, and I agree with IrishLass to just plane off the bottom. But 40% palm is the highest I ever go. When I tested 100% palm oil soaps they were awful. Hard, waxy no lather. My tests were really not to know how it felt, but to test if palm versus homogenized palm (palm shortening) had any difference in soaping. Nope it did not

I had a friend who was doing a bunch of baking for an event give me a huge tub of palm shortening, so I figured I'd try to soap with it. I wasn't quite sure what else to combine, but what else would anyone do with a sudden gift of 2lbs of palm shortening? ;)

My enthusiasm may have outstripped my experience!

On the bright side, the topside doesn't look too shabby. :) I don't know if you have oatmeal in it, but it looks like a nice oatmeal soap. Or a nice oatmeal/pumice stone soap. If you have a planer, you can just plane the shaggy bottoms off.

That was a lot of palm oil. How hot or cool did you soap it?

I bought some of the African Black Soap powder from one of the tribes in Ghana. Since my BF's mom is heart set on black soap, even if I'm only making it for her, I figured this was at least better/more ethical than trying to make someone else's recipe. Unfortunately the ash mix didn't seem to mix through quite.

I had my lye water at 141F and my oil at 117.. I was afraid it would cool and resolidify. Unfortunately it tried to soufflé instead of soap.

Back