~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > Craft Fairs & Shows > Feeling pretty down today

Old 06-19-2016, 04:43 AM   #11
Steve85569
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

My prayers go out for both of you.
I wonder what's just around the corner for the two of you?!

Here's asking for Gods blessings on you.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #12
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4825 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Thankyou everyone. We have had a website since 2010 and my daughter used to make a living from it, but times have changed and she is just burnt out of the constant battle to generate orders. The last 2 years sales dropped 50%. I have no desire to wholesale, I like my markets and enjoy the friends I have made. It just sucks when this is the only real good market around. I am still having faith some prayers will help. Will know Tuesday

DeeAnna I am sorry to hear you lost your biggest customer. It makes it very hard.

Dahila, I know what you mean about booth prices. This company that is probably going to take over charges $75 plus $15 for electricity per market. Some market nights it is tough to make $100. Of course some nights like last night are great but there is just not enough of those nights.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4560 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 3796

Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear this. Shows and markets are just getting too hard. Between too many B & B and cost. Hoe things turn around for you.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #14
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11014 Times on 4997 Posts
Likes Given: 4921

A guy I used to work with often said "the only thing that doesn't change ... is change" and he's right. I knew my big customer wasn't going to be around forever, but I didn't know when they'd go.

A small business like mine, and perhaps like Carolyn's, is a balancing act based on most things going well most of the time and not too many things going wrong at any one time. A little change is okay, but it can be tough to recover from a big change no matter how hard a person plans ahead and no matter how good at business the person may be.

So I can really appreciate Carolyn's problem.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 2605

I am sorry to hear that Carolyn and DeeAnna. Markets are hard work even if you enjoy doing them. And losing a big customer hurts. Hang in there guys.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #16
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear this. Shows and markets are just getting too hard. Between too many B & B and cost. Hoe things turn around for you.
You are quite correct. I have 3 small one's that I am lucky if I leave with $50 at the end of the night. As I mentioned they are an exercise in load, unload, setup and teardown. These are new markets that I hope will eventually take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
A guy I used to work with often said "the only thing that doesn't change ... is change" and he's right. I knew my big customer wasn't going to be around forever, but I didn't know when they'd go.

A small business like mine, and perhaps like Carolyn's, is a balancing act based on most things going well most of the time and not too many things going wrong at any one time. A little change is okay, but it can be tough to recover from a big change no matter how hard a person plans ahead and no matter how good at business the person may be.

So I can really appreciate Carolyn's problem.
The fella you worked with was very savvy. We had a manufacturing company that made us a great living, allowed, travel, a sportfisher, motorcycles etc, but we also had a bad partner and knew it would end someday. That someday came sooner than expected and ensued a 2 yr legal battle. He wanted to pay us a measly little amount on a buy-off. Hubby was going to do it and I threatened divorce if he signed the papers. I found a lawyer, built a case and 2 yrs later we have over 10x's what was originally offered plus he ended up with 300k in attorney fees and my high end attorney cost me 25k. We did not have to call or correspond with our attorney every time we turned around. Unfortunately we tried to help out my daughter and SIL when the economic crash hit. Enough said...That was a change I was not ready for and it put us in the position I am in today. Retired, old truck, no boat, Harleys in the garage, but no road trips as we planned. Still trying to help support the kids since SIL is out of work more than working since last Dec. and daughter's health is not getting better. My markets were buying all my groceries

cmzaha
DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 06-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #17
nsmar4211

Liked 273 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 1649

Sorry to hear the troubles!!!

Do you guys have any small gift shops around that might be interested? Or "off the wall" type shops? Or any kind of downtown?
cmzaha Likes This 
Old 06-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
TBandCW

Liked 239 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Carolyn, that really sucks! I can tell you what we're doing these days. Last summer we dropped all the farmers markets that had gone down the tubes due to a horrible market manager. The markets started out great two yrs ago, and this was their business, but got lazy and it all went downhill. Now he can't get anyone to do his markets. (karma in action) We got into a few good markets, so that is all fine but we are now going in the direction of weekend street fairs and larger venues. The fees are pretty steep ($300-$400), but since there are tons of people at these events it is well worth it. Long days and we are exhausted (both in our upper 50's) but the $$$$ comes with it. This last weekend we were the only candle and bath vendor!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
doriettefarm
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1152 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

There's a soaper in my area that stocks products in the Harley-Davidson shops, several spas and even the art museum (in addition to her own storefront). She seems to do pretty well but I still see her attending lots of different markets & festivals. Plus every 6 months or so she does a spot on the local morning show and gets free advertising for her goodies.
cmzaha Likes This 
Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBandCW View Post
Carolyn, that really sucks! I can tell you what we're doing these days. Last summer we dropped all the farmers markets that had gone down the tubes due to a horrible market manager. The markets started out great two yrs ago, and this was their business, but got lazy and it all went downhill. Now he can't get anyone to do his markets. (karma in action) We got into a few good markets, so that is all fine but we are now going in the direction of weekend street fairs and larger venues. The fees are pretty steep ($300-$400), but since there are tons of people at these events it is well worth it. Long days and we are exhausted (both in our upper 50's) but the $$$$ comes with it. This last weekend we were the only candle and bath vendor!
I simply cannot afford the larger and even those do not do well here anymore. Last year the B&B people that attended the LA County Fair took a financial "bath". I had considered a holiday craft fair at the Anheim Convention center and was so glad I had passed. If I remember correctly it was around $700 for 2 or 3 days, and was a huge loss for most of the vendors. They just do not seem to work here anymore. Our manager is a pretty good manager although he still has some things to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriettefarm View Post
There's a soaper in my area that stocks products in the Harley-Davidson shops, several spas and even the art museum (in addition to her own storefront). She seems to do pretty well but I still see her attending lots of different markets & festivals. Plus every 6 months or so she does a spot on the local morning show and gets free advertising for her goodies.
Just curious is her labeling under the Harley Trademark? Our Harley shops really stock nothing, but 1 brand of clothing that is not under their logo

cmzaha