What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use just my fingers, but put a cut up glove on the soap before I stamp. It works great. I've also seen people spritz w/alcohol before stamping, but my way works on more densities of soap

kiwimoose- the soap is VERY soft. I couldn’t wait. It was in the mold 12 hours and I “had” to try the cutter! Hopefully tomorrow night after I get off work, I’ll try to make another loaf and I’ll wait till Tuesday night to cut it. Sometimes I really wish I was retired so I could stay home and soap every day.

I was going to try the fissure technique described for February's soaping challenge, Everything was good to go, I set my stick blender in my oils, reached over to grab my lye water and my oil container tipped over and 4/5 of my oil spilled all over the counter. After 20 minutes of clean up, I measured what was left and did my best to reformulate my oil mixture. I made my main batter, using an new FO and hoped for the best (odd that I was hoping for acceleration). By the time it firm enough to make any sort of cracks, my secondary mixture had thickened up. My cracks weren't big enough for my liking, so I "helped" it along by making more cracks with a skewer. Then I basically frosted my cracks. It will be really interesting to see how it turns out and If I can make a rock of two out of it.

I'm running my tools that I used 2 days ago through the dishwasher a second time. All but some silicone molds which I hand washed last night. I didn't wash with any dish soap first time, my thinking being I already had soap on every bowl etc. But came out with film on every thing. Running a second time short cycle.

What i usually do is wash by hand then run them through the dishwasher i almost blocked my dishwasher because i just threw the stuff in with no rinsing off. Either that or i just wadh by hand and get an older tea towel and dry and clean with that, that usually get rid of any greasiness

The few times I did CP I dumped everything in a big bucket of hot water a few days after using them. To soak and loosen up the oils.

I tried a recipe by @Saponificarian and is in the mold for the night. I should really sleep now......

The few times I did CP I dumped everything in a big bucket of hot water a few days after using them. To soak and loosen up the oils.

I tried a recipe by @Saponificarian and is in the mold for the night. I should really sleep now......

I keep saying ill put water and washing up liquid into one my buckets to make washing easier but its yet to happen.
Candle related jobs again today had a banging headache all day made 600 candle wicks this afternoon but i have been having a mess with sm3 and im going to plan the recipes that will use the remaining fo i ordered last week to test in candles and a soap batch for each

Today is a day off from actually making soap. Instead I'm wrestling with this dang wooden mold. The bottom won't budge and it's causing me considerable frustration.

I realize I just need to walk away and let the soap do its thing for a while longer, since I used more water to keep the batter fluid longer, but ARGH. It's been 24 hours, give me my soaaaaaaaaap.

Patience is a virtue, and I am not virtuous.

View attachment 36142

View attachment 36143

I made a wire soap cutter today....and it WORKS!!! I’m so happy! Spent under $40! I also made Coffee Latte Soap (so I could try out my new cutter) and it smells delicious!

That looks awesome did you use plans from online or just make your plans to suit your bar sizes ect?

I am quite practical so i could do most that it is the hinges and wires i am curious how you made attached ect?

View attachment 36142

View attachment 36143

I made a wire soap cutter today....and it WORKS!!! I’m so happy! Spent under $40! I also made Coffee Latte Soap (so I could try out my new cutter) and it smells delicious!

That soap!! Love the style! But the first thing I noticed was that cutter - *so jealous* - and then you said YOU MADE IT!!! So beautiful and professional looking. *even more jealous* :D
I bet you could sell those plans ...

I’ll have to take closer pictures of the cutter. I did not buy plans, designed it on my own. I kinda sketched it out on paper first then took off to Home Depot for the lumber. I bought pieces that were basically cut already, but I do have a jig saw that I used to personalize the way I wanted the final cuts. Then bought wood screws and 2 hinges and used thin wire that I already had for hanging pictures. So far the first loaf cut very clean. But I will probably want heavier duty wire at some point. I can also add more to the length if I ever decide to do longer bars. For now this suits my needs as a “just for fun” soaper with high hopes of making money at it one day!

I’ll have to take closer pictures of the cutter. I did not buy plans, designed it on my own. I kinda sketched it out on paper first then took off to Home Depot for the lumber. I bought pieces that were basically cut already, but I do have a jig saw that I used to personalize the way I wanted the final cuts. Then bought wood screws and 2 hinges and used thin wire that I already had for hanging pictures. So far the first loaf cut very clean. But I will probably want heavier duty wire at some point. I can also add more to the length if I ever decide to do longer bars. For now this suits my needs as a “just for fun” soaper with high hopes of making money at it one day!

Very, very cool. Wish I was crafty in that way.

B7E71FA1-3147-4A98-AC43-77F580784858.jpeg
8566D432-64E1-409A-84ED-F2602A0D10AE.jpeg
EA291C7B-260F-46CA-AAA8-78EFB13EE82C.jpeg
417511A8-23A3-4F15-A400-D8C0D2AAFC41.jpeg
B676458F-EF60-41A4-8C15-59AB3E433968.jpeg
C65B586C-AEDA-4E7A-9D09-4F259A915ED3.jpeg
6D344154-EEB7-4DD3-987C-86FC2A93456F.jpeg
D673F3E6-9DD0-4BF7-9983-B7C0BA906F22.jpeg
BC7792EA-AB72-486F-9553-CE689FD9BD13.jpeg
0AFF1CF1-9B29-4481-BB64-EDCD5CAD15F9.jpeg
B7E71FA1-3147-4A98-AC43-77F580784858.jpeg

Here are a few different angles of the cutter and a tape measure next to it so you can see the size. Other than the wood, screws, wood glue and 2 hinges...The only tools I used were jig saw, drill with a tiny bit for pilot holes, Phillips screw driver, pencil and tape measure and little snips to cut the wire. It took me about 4 hours, but I also stopped in between for making supper and a few phone calls.

I made more soap tonight with plans to cut tomorrow night with my new cutter. Why is it SOOO hard to wait for un-molding and cutting! This is the hardest part for me. It’s a good thing I have a regular day job and have to leave early every morning because I sure want to cut into my bars as soon as I get up! I’m even waking up in the middle of the night to check on the soaps I just poured! I think I’m an addict!

After 36 hours of antsy waiting, this soap finally came out of the mold and onto the cutter. I am SO thrilled with it.

View attachment 36228
WOW! That's really cool!

I did it, I did it, I did it, i did it!
I

DID

IT!!!!!

I made white soap! No swirls, no colours, nothin' but pure white soap. (But I did use some TD @Hendejm).
IMG_0684.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it, I did it, I did it, i did it!
I

DID

IT!!!!!

I made white soap! No swirls, no colours, nothin' but pure white soap. (But I did use some TD @Hendejm).
View attachment 36229
Did you use any fragrance or EO? I keep thinking about making pure white soap but then I get carried away with all the colors I’ve invested in and I can’t help myself.

I'm not going to believe it until it's unmolded Kiwi ;)

(Just as likely to be some pretty little surprise in the bottom, or a lace pattern to wow us ... plain? white? naaaaaahhh :p)

@Micchi - I like your black cat soaps! :)
(They are slightly spooky and everything, although I'm seeing a little Finn in the front ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
Back