High coconut oil recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeoplum

Reaction score
I've made soap with 100% CO with 20% SF
I've made soap with 80% CO 20% Mango Butter with 20% SF

And I like them ok but it's just not quite what I'm looking for.

And I've been experimenting forever with a 5 oil recipe that contains
Palm, OO, CO, Mango Butter and Castor. I tweak it to keep "safe" numbers in soapcal and the soap is nice but nothing that makes me jump up and down.

So I started thinking outside the box and was wondering what would happen if did something like 70% CO 25% Olive 5% Castor with a 15% SF? Anybody think it would make a more conditioning bar than the "32" that soapcalc says? If not, how would you tweak it?

I would use more oiive oil and less CO.
At the end it all depends what you and your skin like. You just have to experiment with diferent recipes.

Even with a 15% SF?

I use ROE so I'd be willing to go higher on the Olive Oil but I don't like the slimy feel of my Castile and Bastile bars so that's why I was trying to play with a Highly SF'd recipe of high CO.

Well, in all honesty I cannot find fault with how the 80/20 feels but it does have small bubbles and I feel locked in to the VERY opaque color. So I guess for varieties sake, I'd like to experiment with reducing the coconut some and adding in some olive and castor. But people seem to stay away from doing that so I'm wondering why? Is the the high SF that scares people when it comes to Olive? I know from making the 80/20 bar and/or Castile, that soapcalc numbers aren't everything. But I'm unsure of when to know to trust them and when to know to disregard them, ya know?

Edited to add: The olive and castor are easier to get so if I could find something that didn't require the mango butter, that would be a plus also!

Ok, since nobody said they think it's ok to try my idea and I hate wasting oils on something I've never heard anyone say they make, then I decided to play it safe with only a slight modification. Especially since I was making Peppermint without color so the extra-white opaqueness will hopefully look good with that scent. I actually found that I had made 70% CO 30% Mango Butter with 15% SF so I decided to tweak that one just a bit...

70% CO
25% Mango Butter
5% Castor
With a 15% SF

Does Castor give more big bubbles or little bubbles? I've been away from soaping for a little while and can't remember. I'm having fun getting back into it. I'm an on-again, off-again soaper. :)

zeo

Hey Zeo- it's good to see you again! :)

I personally find that castor doesn't so much contribute to bubbles as much as it contributes to the overall 'feel' of the lather. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can explain is that it seems to add an oomph or body to my already existing lather.

IrishLass :)

I'd try a small batch, like a pound, and see what you think?

Maybe 60% CO, 20% OO, 15% mango, and 5% castor at 15% SF?

If it's only a pound, no biggie if it isn't the soap of your dreams.

IrishLass said:
Hey Zeo- it's good to see you again! :)

I personally find that castor doesn't so much contribute to bubbles as much as it contributes to the overall 'feel' of the lather. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can explain is that it seems to add an oomph or body to my already existing lather.

Hey IrishLass! I'm surprised you remember me. I'm such an IR-regular on the forums. I was pleasantly surprised to see you are now a moderator. Whoever made that decision is really on the ball. Most of what I've learned on SMF has come from you.

Thank you for the feedback on the Castor bubbles. Do you ever add any to your 70/30 Coconut Mango Butter recipe?

zeo

judymoody said:
I'd try a small batch, like a pound, and see what you think?

Maybe 60% CO, 20% OO, 15% mango, and 5% castor at 15% SF?

If it's only a pound, no biggie if it isn't the soap of your dreams.

Thanks Judy. I guess I can give that a try. It's probably much safer than my original idea but it might restore some of that somewhat transparent look that gel soaps normally give. (Transparent is probably not the right word. Whatever the opposite of opaque is as it relates to gelled CP soap!)

Thanks for your help!
zeo

Edited to add: Oh yeah! Translucent! It just hit me. :lol:

zeoplum said:
Hey IrishLass! I'm surprised you remember me.

Yep- I remembered you. :) I had actually been wondering recently where you'd gone off to, and then all of a sudden, 'POOF!" here you are. :lol:

zeoplum said:
I was pleasantly surprised to see you are now a moderator.

I was, too! You could've knocked me over with a feather. :lol:

zeoplum said:
Thank you for the feedback on the Castor bubbles. Do you ever add any to your 70/30 Coconut Mango Butter recipe?

zeo

No, but I am going to be giving it a try soon now that you mention it.

Latest posts

Back