Piggy Palace (Guinea Pig content) Pic!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
My wife used to be a cabinet maker. As our pig family expanded, she built them this wonderful home :D
It matches book cases which are on the other side of the room. Doors for the front are not yet complete....

Thanks for looking!

hutch.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing this! Feel free to share more pig photos, I looove guinea pigs.

You are a very talented pair! :)

so cool , the C & C grids r great.....we have 19 of the lil buggers but love them all and they bring a smile to my face each day as they are all different in personality.......I have so many as I used to rescue them from harms way.....so I have many piggies that have disabilities as well as perfectly healthy ones......they are all very spoilt now though lol

Cute!!
Love the shelf unit.
I'm with soapbuddy & instantly thought soap...rofl.... few extra shelves & voila!! Excellent soap curing rack.

Traceyann said:
so cool , the C & C grids r great.....we have 19 of the lil buggers but love them all and they bring a smile to my face each day as they are all different in personality.......I have so many as I used to rescue them from harms way.....so I have many piggies that have disabilities as well as perfectly healthy ones......they are all very spoilt now though lol

If you are rescueing them, I admire you. My family used to have guinea pigs that used to breed like...rabits...lol...we would give them away. Do yours produce a lot of offspring? Can you spay or neuter a guinea pig? Maybe dumb questions but you have piqued my curiosity. What kind of disabilities do they have?

BTW I love it when you have such a wonderfully crafty person who is able to make things when you need it...I wish I was/had one.

Hi cmd, we used to rescue them , but as I work such long hours and also study I cant do this any longer.....We dont breed as I believe there are way to many piggies out there and people see them as a disposable pet....Hence y we had so many rescued ones ( I had about 100 at one stage, they have all found new forever homes ) As for nutering you most certainly can ....I have a special boy called Sebastian and he lives VERY happily with 12 Ladies lol.....he is nutered , but this must be done by a cavy/guinea pig/exotics vet as its a bit tricky as they are sooooo small .

The disablilties range from broken leg to eyes missing ( as in poked out ) and yes some people are extremely cruel.....I have 2 boys that were extremely shy and nervous as they lived with 38 other pigs in a cage about 1metre square ( they were in an extrememly bad way when we got them, eats bitten , sores , fur missing ) but they have now come to trust us and will take food out of our hands now.....All my piggies have a story some as simple as just not wanted any more , but some as terrible as covered in mange , suffering bumble foot ( kinda like a huge ulcer on there foot and so sore they cannot put pressure on it )and fitting ...this lil piggy was on deaths door , she had no fur at all and squeald from the pain whenever I held her......she now has a name ( Princess ) and a beautiful coat of black hair and loves cuddles , her foot healed extremely well, ( thanks to betadine and colloidial silver ) .....so sorry to write so much but even though we dont rescue any more its still dear to my heart

Traceyann said:
even though we dont rescue any more its still dear to my heart

thanks for sharing your story Traceyann, I love rescue stories and just love animals in general. Someday that is something I would like to do, take in rescues. I love little pigs! The way they talk to each other is so funny.
Although I can imagine having 100 of them would be almost a full time job!

We are a two pig,one rabbit family at the moment. The male we have, lost his friend last christmas and I held off buying another until I found another boy at the produce store in July. Couldn't leave him there. They can't live in the same cage together as they'll kill each other,but run round the yard and its fine.When we first got him,they ended up with bites all over them. Don't think they can decide who's going to be the boss. :roll: The new one loves to sit on you and watch the TV.

Relle.

Relle , when u had your boys together did they have their own everything , like own bowls, own water drippers own hideys and heaps of space ...

some boys r real buggers, if you tried to introduce two adult males ( even if the new male was older than 8 weeks ) it can be really hard getting them to accept each other especially if the new male was breeding aggressive ( used for breeding ) , but they can also live happily side by side, as long as they can hear each other they wont get lonely and it sounds like u give plenty of cuddles anyway.....

One thing that sometimes worked for me was bathing them in
Fidos fre-itch then introducing them in neutral territory like the bath tub, worked most times but not always !!

we cant let ours roam the back yard as we get heaps of snakes, but they get fresh grass and hay each day as well as veges . OHHHH and the loungeroom floor as a run every now and then......the cat loves them !!!!

Yesterday we picked up another adult girl. One of our girls passed away a few weeks ago, we don't know how old she was but she was probably 5 or so. A local rescue picked up a 4 year old and she's now here in her new home.

We have the girls cage divided into 2 sections so they can't fight and we had a little play date with the both of them on our couch earlier today. There was a little grumbling, walking over each other and treat-stealing from each other but no bighting. We still have the cages separated, I hope they get along and can live happily together.

I've heard older pigs can be tough to accept new friends, hopefully our "old ladies" can get along :D

I'll try bathing them Traceyann and see what happens. I've bathed them twice already and let them out in the yard to dry off,so they can go their own way. Might confine them in the bath and see what happens.
The new male when he came home was hissing at the other one and chattering all the time. Never heard the hissing with all the pigs we've had(its very funny).
We have only had boys and they have all got on ,except these two.Just been down the back to check where they were and yes in the fenced off vege patch.(little poos)didn't know it was self serve. :lol:
Don't know if I could have coped with 50 like you, I had 10 bunnies at one stage and was pulling my hair out.
Minding a bun for the next 2 wks,then another 2 in Feb while people go on hols. Ellie (my bun) might not like the intrusion on her turf.
Thanks for your info - I'll let you know how I go.
Relle.

Good luck with your new piggy Donniej. Hope she gets on OK with your lot.

Relle.

Donniej , girls are generally more accepting and laid back, like I said in the last post bathe both pigs and introduce them in neutral territory , make sure the cage is newly cleaned and wiped down with white vinegar as it neutralises the smells , fingers crossed all will be well......but having said that I did have one who just wouldnt tolerate any other female, she was a real handful, in the end I put her in with 6 other females and they sorted her out lol.....

5 is a pretty old age as 8 as long as most piggies live ( depending on their start to life )

Relle if you have already tried the bath dont bother with another , maybe in time they will mellow.....I have 2 boys who are brothers and are extremely dominant but dont fight as they have never been bred, and then I have my awesome foursome ,three have been bred from but all four get along famously ....figger that one out lol

Heres a pic of my girls enjoying grass time, as we get heaps of snakes the grass has to come to them.....the 5th piggie on the right is Sebastian, he is my beautiful desexed coronet ...he is so laid back and loves being combed

photo.jpg

The girls have 2 huge cages joined by a tunnel so they can access both ends

WOW, the piggy Hilton. They certainly look happy. You must be in the bush to get snakes. Can't have those piggies getting bitten.

I'd love all those piggies, but think I'd get into trouble if I brought anymore home. Its nice just to have 2, although the three little pigs would be good hehe. Ours are out in the yard on the grass now, we get out the prawn net and catch them when we have to bring them in at night. Little poos don't want to get caught.

Relle.

Lol Relle, we r kinda in the bush, but dont worry all our cages are snake proofed, besides they lil buggers are sooooo fat I really dont think a snake could eat them...not taking any chances tho.....

Ohhh and these are just my girls ( and sebastian ) .....i also have 6 other boys but for obvious reasons they live seperate to the girls ...

Pics of my back yard......my actual yard goes as far at the rocks in the bottom of the pic, beyond that is council land, but its really thick bush...so very private .....

backyard2.jpg

looking left

backyard1.jpg

looking right

we get all sorts of birds and aminals here is so nice .....I love it

Latest posts

Back