Citric in lotion/cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
So many recipes call for citric in these, but I do not understand why? I know it is supposed to help neutralize the pH, but when is it appropriate to use it in a lotion/cream?

right - it's a pH modifier.

lotions are all about chemistry and physics - they are emulsions and some emulsifiers are pH sensitive. and they contain water and water supports life so you need the preservative and some of those are pH sensitive. plus skin is a bit pH sensitive itself.

So how is the best way to use it? Go by what the preservative is? Or is it generally just a good idea to use it?

Anybody have some good reading ideas? I would like to be better educated on the where, why, what, and how, so to speak without terminology overload, of course. :shock:

I don't use it in any of my handmade lotions. I've tried a couple of people's lotions made with it and it made my skin itch.

artisan soaps said:
Cirtic acid dissolves easily in water, so I've been adding it to that phase, but the recipes should tell you ..

I have been doing that as well.

If creating your own (which I like to do too), then I read up on what the ingredients need - check the bottles or ask when you buy them .. Get a notebook and write everything you find out down so you don't forget (if you have a memory like mine) ..

I have been using a recipe that I found and like with some tweaking, or maybe more than tweaking. This recipe calls for citric, as do so many, but I really want to know why. It is a basic recipe with not much added, E-wax, stearic, and preserv.

Don't just add it to everything or you could be throwing the balance way out .. It's used to ADJUST the pH .. And you'll probably only want a very small amount - taste a bit, it's potent!

definitely using a small amount. I am embarresed to say, that I actually really LIKE the taste of it :oops: I also used to eat lemons...

The other thing is that I have been using GM to my tweaking. I started thinking that the citric would curdle the GM, but I have some lotion that I made six months ago with no curdling. Should I drop the citric while using GM?

It seems there are so many variables, which is why I would love to get some good reading in this regard.

soapbuddy said:
I don't use it in any of my handmade lotions. I've tried a couple of people's lotions made with it and it made my skin itch.

Food for thought for me. Thanks!

Ditto! I made my own with it as well and the same thing happened.

Back