~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > "Musky" essential oil blend?

Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
BayBoy

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default "Musky" essential oil blend?

Hey EO nerds!

I'm working on a scent that is the kind of musky scent a "guy" might want to wear on a date. I like black pepper oil because it smells a bit like patchouli without actually smelling like... patchouli. Not obviously anyway. I'm combining it with amyris and sweet orange. But it's still a bit too bright, I guess is the word.

I need it to smell more... umm... mysterious. Any wisdom y'all might wish to share?

Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Obsidian

Liked 4465 Times on 2627 Posts
Likes Given: 110

What about oakmoss? Its not really musky but it would give you the deeper scent you are looking for. A little patchouli might be good too, once blended it looses some of the funky scent that so many people dislike.

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #3
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 735 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Nagarmotha/Cypriol might give you the sort of kind of musky base note you're looking for. I just did a test strip of it, it starts off really leathery, but settles down into not quite cedarwood (like sticking your face in an old cedarwood chest sort of cedarwood, not a really bright fresh cedarwood) with musk tones.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
BayBoy

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I love this feedback, thank you

Old 09-12-2017, 01:54 AM   #5
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2511

Maybe switch out the orange for bergamot if you have it. Rosewood is nice too. A little patchouli - but I am a patch lover. Balsam Peru (Peru Balsam?) maybe. Frankincense for a bit of a smoky note?
People Like This 
Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
BayBoy

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks! I'm going to try these ideas this weekend

Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #7
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 2821

I like all the above suggestions, but I also like straight black pepper, so I'm not much help -- but I'm posting just to see what you come up with!

Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
BaBa

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Labdanum or yellow birch (Benzyl acetate) also have leathery, masculine notes, without the sweet facet of Peru Balsam or Benzoin. Hyraceum is typically used to replace animal notes. Depends if you want to pass directly from bright to leather or if you prefer a little balsamine trip before; maybe the contrast of the first will be interpreted as "masculine" more easily.

Vetiver is able to make this transition without feeling too sweet, but it definetely has an earthy facet. Also does gaiac wood, without anything earthy but more in the smokey, tobacco side.

If you really want the «clean» side of musk (like in White Musk of body shop), consider working with Ethylene Brassicate (also commercialized as Musk T), but I'm unsure whether it could resist saponification.

Lavender, pine and oakmoss can give an interesting tobacco bouquet that may fit to your bright/dull game. Galbanum also allows you to have even brighter green, humus notes, but as patchouli it's a bit funk for those who aren't on the earthy side.

Orange seems really sweet and kinda difficult to maintain in a soap. Maybe could petitgrain or bergamot give you a finer citrusy element?

People Like This