Whipped Rebatch Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
So thrilled with these!
My last rebatch came out looking like puke. These came out much better!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1504033873.376281.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1504033885.709273.jpg

Those look great!

How do you do whipped rebatch? I've not read about it. Okay, I am on a search to find more information. I'll probably watch a couple of youtube videos about it after my husband goes to bed tonight. Three popped up in a Google search, so I think that might be a good start.

Oh, I also found this: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=6481

So I will give this a try. It looks like fun.

Those look great!

How do you do whipped rebatch? I've not read about it. Okay, I am on a search to find more information. I'll probably watch a couple of youtube videos about it after my husband goes to bed tonight. Three popped up in a Google search, so I think that might be a good start.

Oh, I also found this: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=6481

So I will give this a try. It looks like fun.

I went off of this video: https://youtu.be/ifnLoU1u82c

AnnaLee, does your whipped rebatch soap float? Mine doesn't and I'm wondering if either I used too much liquid, so it's still too wet (it's only been a few days), so it needs to cure/dry out longer, or I didn't whip enough air into it.

Here's what mine came out looking like. Bear in mind, I was only testing the process and had no goal for a pretty soap. And after testing a stamp with plastic wrap between the soap & the stamp to see if it would work to stamp the soap without creating a messy stamp to clean up, I broke the top of the soap off, so that's why the top looks like that:

Whipped Rebatch 2017Sept02.jpg

AnnaLee, does your whipped rebatch soap float? Mine doesn't and I'm wondering if either I used too much liquid, so it's still too wet (it's only been a few days), so it needs to cure/dry out longer, or I didn't whip enough air into it.

Here's what mine came out looking like. Bear in mind, I was only testing the process and had no goal for a pretty soap. And after testing a stamp with plastic wrap between the soap & the stamp to see if it would work to stamp the soap without creating a messy stamp to clean up, I broke the top of the soap off, so that's why the top looks like that:

5ffbb330f8446b52dc681965c95941e5.jpg

Yeah mine floats. I tested it a day after I cut it. I whipped it for a good while. I had to split the batch in two to get the different colors, and I whipped it after I added the color and after I added the scents. I figured I couldn't over whip it (maybe?). It's got a lot of little air pockets and feels kinda like a sponge (a bit squishy and light).

I love the look of yours! Very rustic looking. I think the stamp came out nice!

Thanks, I guess I just didn't whip it enough. Next time I try this I'll keep on going and if I think I've done enough I'll do some more to be on teh safe side. Not sure when I'll try again, but I'd like to get it fluffy and floaty next time.

earlene, I love that rebatch! I was so envious of the top, and then I saw that it was broken :) It looks great. I have a soap that turned out so awful that I rebatched it, and the rebatch is almost as awful so I'm going to do a whipped rebatch right now and see if I can redeem it a bit :) So glad I found this thread!

ETA: I just rebatched a previously rebatched soap. I really like this method much better than how I've always done rebatch, the mixer is super helpful.

Last edited:
Too cool! Just a couple of quick tips... to save my knuckles from grating up the soap, a soaping buddy gave me an old Presto Salad Shooter and I have a dedicated food processor that I found at a garage sale. Both work well and make quick work of the grating part. Then there's this:
http://www.greencottage.com/soap/rebatch.html
©2000-2001 Green Cottage and Electric Soap.

LISA LISA'S FAMOUS 12-STEP SOAP RECOVERY PROGRAM

It's not necessary to add lots of liquid to soap in order to melt it down. Usually, you only need enough liquid to dampen the pieces. The fresher the soap is, the easier it is to melt, also, because there is still sufficient liquid trapped INSIDE the soap to allow it to melt easily.

OLDER than a week Add liquid.
FRESH, less than a week-old Not much or any liquid.

9 oz liquid for 16-24 oz of grated soap.

The fresher the soap, the less liquid you'll use. The older the soap, the closer you'll get to the 9 oz liquid per 16 oz. of soap.

Soap made with animal fats Use distilled water.
Soap made with Veggie oils Use milk.

Vegetable oils need animal fats to melt down more completely. So use MILK instead of WATER to wet down the grated soap. ANY kind of milk...from skim to goat's milk to wet the soap. ICE COLD from the fridge.

Use LOW, INDIRECT heat. Soap scorches easily.
Allow 3 hours, give or take some time.

HTH

Too cool! Just a couple of quick tips... to save my knuckles from grating up the soap, a soaping buddy gave me an old Presto Salad Shooter and I have a dedicated food processor that I found at a garage sale. Both work well and make quick work of the grating part. Then there's this:

HTH

That helps very much! Thank you!
I definitely need to find a salad shooter to rebatch soap with. The reason mine had little chunks in it was because I couldn't grate all the pieces down evenly. I got a nice cut on my thumb grating them up too.

I definitely need to find a salad shooter to rebatch soap with. The reason mine had little chunks in it was because I couldn't grate all the pieces down evenly. I got a nice cut on my thumb grating them up too.

That's why I used my food processor the last time I grated soap for a rebatch. Figured it wouldn't hurt too much for just one batch, and if I liked how it worked out I could add a soap dedicated food processor to my equipment. Did make grating much easier.

I kept looking for a used Salad Shooter because some folks here have said they see them at thrift stores quite often. I have never yet seen one and I go to them in lots of different places. So I finally just ordered one from Amazon. It sure does save time and does make uniform sizes. But I won't use it for new soap that's still pretty moist. I just cut new soap up into little chunks and it melts pretty easily that way.

I like floating soap when in a bath tub. And kids like floating soap. It's easier to find it when it floats. Especially helpful when the tub is deep and there are loads of bubbles from a bubble bath!

I just think floating soap is kinda cool! earlene has a good point, that it's easier to find if you happen to drop it in the tub.

It was just something different and fun that I wanted to try.

Back