Second batch of soap - strange crack across the top

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now comes the wait....boo boo!

image.jpg

I do not know if anyone put your attention on temps but 10 degree is in F not Celsius. it would be more or less up to 3 C(maybe even less) of difference in temps of oil and lye. I keep one degree or two, I am metric person too. Nice soap ;)

Thanks Dahila, that's good to know. I've amended my notes so I can remember that for next time :)

Yay! Congrats @Cookie on your soap! I've cracked a few times when I over insulate based on the formula. Each recipe I make a note on how I insulate it, and after how many hours I should cut it. Keep in mind that the insulation process is totally different between wood molds and silicone molds. That was something I learned the hard way! Just read up on it before you ever switch. My first several batches in silicone overheated because I wasn't prepared for the difference.
Lovely soap!

Thanks for the info vuladams :). I don't remember seeing that info anywhere. I spent yesterday morning tidyng up my soap diary and added a new page of hints so I'll definitely be adding that. I just ordered a new soap mold online and it's silicone and I've only used wood so far, good to know about different insulation needs

Thanks for the info vuladams :). I don't remember seeing that info anywhere. I spent yesterday morning tidyng up my soap diary and added a new page of hints so I'll definitely be adding that. I just ordered a new soap mold online and it's silicone and I've only used wood so far, good to know about different insulation needs

@Cookie - when I use my silicone molds, I set the timer for 30 mins after I pour so I can check the heat status, then decide if I need to add or remove insulation; or pop it in the freezer (thankfully, I've only had to do that twice in five years.) When I use my silicone log molds, I lay a piece of bubble wrap over them, with air flow on the sides. Or I'll use a paper towel. I do not lay a towel over them like with wood molds. However, when I use my silicone molds that have individual cavities, I will lay a piece of wax paper or bubble wrap over them and place a towel folded twice over them - since they're smaller they don't heat up as much. So, play with it when you get them because they are totally different than working with wood molds. For some reason, I find that bubble wrap keeps the perfect temperature for my recipes, and I just reuse the same pieces over again. :)

Last edited:
Thanks vuladams, I'll be coming back to this when I use the silicone mold for the first time. Appreciate you sharing your experience with me

Latest posts

Back