Massage Candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenandkim

Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to make massage lotion candles for Christmas presents for my sisters. I found a few recipes online, but two of them called for cosmetic grade soy wax. Problem is....can't find anywhere to order it. Found a lot of sites that sell soy wax....just not cosmetic grade. Is there a difference? Is so...anyone know where i can order?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I thought about making these, but was told that my liability insurance would be dropped if I did. It's probably ok if these are just for yourself.

Massage Candles are made of 100% natural soy wax with a 3% blend of essential oils and then fortified with pure emu oil - a perfect blend for the skin...

The Soap Queen had a really nice recipe for one. Just a couple ingredients. I can't imagine a regular soy wax being so unclean as to not put on the skin. Does anyone know why?

aromaworks said:
Massage Candles are made of 100% natural soy wax with a 3% blend of essential oils and then fortified with pure emu oil - a perfect blend for the skin...

um, maybe some are. others are not.

love the 100% + "fortified".

Soapy Gurl said:
The Soap Queen had a really nice recipe for one. Just a couple ingredients. I can't imagine a regular soy wax being so unclean as to not put on the skin. Does anyone know why?

because soy is grown with pesticides
because additives are used sometimes to give the soy wax particular qualities
and maybe some other reasons

people who say soy is all good and paraffin is all bad are full of bull cookies.

I buy these all the time. I’m thinking I’ll make a few if I ever get moved into the new house. I love my massage candles (get them from my friends salon). I like blowing out the candle after a hot bath and using the warm oil. Really really nice and very popular.

can anyone explain what a massage candle... exactly does? you light the wick and then when the wax starts to melt, you pour it onto a person?

am I way off here...

Sunny, it is a blend of butters, oils and soy wax. You light it and pour the melted stuff on someone and use it instead of massage oil. You pretty much have it! The Soap Queen has an easy recipe, it was more butters, oils than wax.

I know this thread is old but hopefully there are still some active members. My question: no matter the fragrance my melted oils smell like burnt fire, or the smell when you first blow a candle out. Is it supposed to smell like that?

I think you should be really careful though about what you are putting on your skin. Not all essential oils are safe to be used on the skin (it will be absorbed) and you need to make sure you arent using too much. I wouldn't recommend buying a massage candle because you don't know what the company is putting in the candle and that industry is highly UN-regulated.

Most people look like they are using Ecosoya CB 135 for massage candles. The CB waxes are all rigorously tested for herbicide and pesticides by an independent lab and come with CoA. It looks like you'd need only worry about the add-ins and their concentrations directly on skin at the 'leave-on' percentages.

I think you should be really careful though about what you are putting on your skin. Not all essential oils are safe to be used on the skin (it will be absorbed) and you need to make sure you arent using too much. I wouldn't recommend buying a massage candle because you don't know what the company is putting in the candle and that industry is highly UN-regulated.
You would use the same essentials that you would use in any cosmetics. I have not really seen many candle makers making massage/lotion candles. Usually people making cosmetics make massage candles.
Soap Queen's recipes have to much butter and added oils which causes them to soot badly. I had my friend that is a candle manufacturer and supplier make me a massage candle which ended up with absoutely no sooting using my Dragon's Blood Fo. The only problem I had with it was it did not have quite the glide I like so there seems to be real trade offs when making massage candles. He gave me some pointers so I am going to play with them again. They are usually very popular for me during the holidays and cold weather times.

Cmzaha please touch back and let me know what u came up with. I called brambleberry And she suggested the cd20 wicks since I'm already using the cb130 or whatever. So I'm going to try changing the wic and see what that does

Back