can you help? - gooky brain like!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivcarm

Reaction score
I have made my castille (with the water discounting info- thanks guys!) but there is this common thing I have on all my soaps, this brain like texture on the top. I stick blend and there is no zap. This one is 100% OO. :?

gook.jpg

This is how it looked cut and trimmed a few minutes later

calendula.jpg

What do you think?

*bleck*

I dunno, is it just ash that is really unique looking?

I'm tellin' ya, I have this weird thing with stuff like that. Totally grosses me out. Other things like the underside of mushroom caps do it to me, too. And the bubbles that form on Swedish Meatballs. Sometimes the inside of bell peppers, too...if you can see the cell walls prevalently...

( I know...a little TMI....) :oops:

Does your stick blender stay immersed? Could be ash forming, with bubbles coming to the top? Because the rest of the soap looks fine. Is that calendula or something mixed in?

I can't say I have ever seen brains before . Do you smooth the traced soap with a spatula ? The cut soap looks great .Did you add something to the OO?

Kitn

Yes that is calendula mixed in, and I suppose I do keep the stick blender in so it could be that the bubble come to the surface, the texure is solid though. I don't think it's ash as it's not a powder, just a really freaky texture! I would love to be able to do some of the lovely textured tops that you guys seem to do, but I think that it is out of my league! :lol:

Kitn said:
I can't say I have ever seen brains before . Do you smooth the traced soap with a spatula ? The cut soap looks great .Did you add something to the OO?

Kitn

When I pour it all looks smooth, even when gelling it just looks like vaseline!

Textured tops are easy! Just SB your soap to medium/heavy trace (depending on how much texture you want), pour, and use a spatula or other utensil to create peaks and texture. Just like icing a cake.

Is it getting hot under plastic wrap and then dripping condensation onto the surface of your soap, maybe?
The good news is, you can cut it off like you did with your super PRETTY calendula soap (soaps? Heh... :wink: ), but textured tops are really easy. Don't be afraid of trying it. When it sets up a little bit, just make some swirly designs in the top with a spoon or a beater from your hand blender....anything really. We can talk you through it, if you wanna try it.

Love your cut ones... :shock:

Cheers guys, lots of help, it probably is the condensation dripping down even though I leave a gap for water to escape. It's kinda cool that I can make a "unique" top to my soap. Ha Ha! :lol:

I have never used plastic wrap to cover my curing soaps. I use a piece of heavy cardboard. That is some heavy ash! But the soaps are lovely!

Nope no alcohol, should I be? Does that mean Vodka? :D I don't like vodka, I prefer gin! :lol: :lol:

It's not a powder so I don't think it's ash, I keep it covered. But I like the idea of the cardboard, typical I just took a load to the recycling! I will just have to cut up a cereal packet! :roll:

Who would have thought that such beautiful soap was lying just under the surface of the "brain." Guess it goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover! :)

Great soap!

Jude

No, I was just wondering if maybe you got too much on it. I started using just a little. I was getting a tiny bit of ash and I didn't want it. I only get it if I don't gell.

That is really strange, I wish I knew what caused it....curiousity! What do you add in at trace?

very pretty soap! luv the calendula flowers! i have no idea what the brain stuff is....but hey you trimmed it off and it looks great now!

I love the look of the cut soap. Not sure if this will help or not but according to Kathy Miller's web page (great source of info!!!) this kind of sounds/looks like "Alien Brains" syndrom. Apparently it can happen if insualted for too long. How long do you leave the soaps insulated? Here is a link to her web site http://www.millersoap.com/.

I only insulated until the next day, I just find it funny! I just grate it up and use in rebatching with my daughter. Only Calendula petals at trace, a really basic soap, it happens to me a lot, I'm unique I can make brain soap! In all seriousness, I think it probably is to do with the condensation and maybe a little over insulation, I wrap up in two wool blankets, and it sit by the radiator. Next time I am going to try cardboard or in the oven, will let you know how I get on!

Vivicarm, that does sound like a lot of heat. Maybe ONE blanket and no radiator? I'd be interested to see if that got rid of the brains.

Did you do CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process)? I can see little bubbles on top that look just like the ones I get when I CPOP, perhaps it could be a bubbly hot spot?

They look very lushish when cut! Great colour! :)

Latest posts

Back