Soap workspace - advice? Must haves?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade-15

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope I've put this in the right place!

We are thinking of building a house next year, and there's an option to make the garage a bit longer to add a workspace in the back. I am thinking about how best to utilise this for my soap King space...
So far, I would ask for a sink to be put in (laundry would be in a separate room). I don't know if I would want a sink with a long bench, or just a sink and I can add my own stainless steel bench (trolley from idea). I like the idea of stainless steel work top so I don't have to worry too much about spills. But I also think if I had a long bench with cupboard (or open shelving) underneath it could be cheaper at the time of build rather than putting it in later (well, I would get a quote then compare to the most basic ikea furniture!)

I think most of the space will come together with furniture etc we put in after the build, nut I'm trying to work out what I need & want to make this a functional space so I can get certain things right at building time - like sink location!
Rather than a cook top I thought I would get an single, portable heating plate thing.

I only make soap for personal use, however I do think about selling and one obstacle is the lack of space in my current house. So I certainly don't need a hugeeee space but a dedicated bench and storage area would be amazing!!

Any helpful advice? As you may detect, I don't have set plans or ideas right now, and I don't intend on creating an detailed, customised plan for my soap space... More just wanting to know what I need to put in at the build stage!
(Which is a while off, we haven't even settled on a house plan or got the land yet ... And I have to convince my other half that this space is a worthy investment... So I, starting early... And may deliberately take over the house with soaping gear between now and then :mrgreen::twisted:)

A small refrigerator might not be a bad idea, and keep your oils in cold storage. A dorm sized one could easily go under a counter, or an apartment size one at the end if you keep a lot of oils on hand.

I'd highly suggest doing TWO stretches of work surface, parallel to each other and set up so you move between them normally when working in the area. Flat work surface is something you can never have too much of.

Another possibility is, since you're talking about building a house, is include a 'mother-in-law's apartment'. Basically a small studio apartment setup that's essentially separate from the rest of the house, or at least has its own entrance. That leaves the garage to him, and gives you a handy out of the way (air conditioned!) studio for making and curing your soap.

Lots of power points for stickblender and microwave.
I soap in the laundry so I have a sink which I find really convenient.
I put my jug with NaOH and water in the sink and I put all my used jugs and buckets in there too when I'm finished. I rinse my SB as soon as I've finished with it.

I have 2 metres of bench space and it's not enough. I have an open cupboard of shelves 600 wide x 2400 high and it's not enough.

I just got cool stainless steel 7 foot table with splashback, the best thing ever, I think it is important to have table that you can easily sanitize . Sink with side table to put the clean dishes on is an awesome idea, whatever you do you are going to run out of space. My room is 13x17 and I am running out of space, in laundry I have freezer; I freeze almost everything and the small fridge to keep my small things eo, proteins, liquid addictives

IF you go built-in cabinetry/counter-top/bench OR add a stainless utility table later, work height is very important. So consider the height that works best for you when making soap.

The sink really does need some counter-top space adjacent to it, even it it's not large, because you need somewhere to put things that you need near the sink.

Lighting is crucial, so pay close attention to where the light fixtures will be placed and try to make sure you don't have any dark spots (un-lit) where you work.

Flooring might be different in your new space, and since you are building it yourself, you can choose what you prefer for easy clean-up as well as comfort. If I were building it, I'd put a drain on the floor of both my laundry room as well as in the soaping work space (and probably on the bathroom floors as well.)

For the water source, a very high water faucet, even one mounted on the wall rather than on the sink, might be useful. I really wish I could have something like that over my stove for when I want to fill a pot for pasta. But that's such a luxury, I doubt it will ever happen in my home.

I second, refrigeration, in fact, I'd go for a full sized fridge with freezer as sometimes I put molded soap into the freezer. If I had that much room, I'd also refrigerate all or most of my oils so they would last longer. Even a used fridge/freezer would be a great addition to a soaping space!

And lots of electrical outlets. At least a bank of them every couple of feet behind and within easy reach of your work table. I know that may seem like overkill, but count your electrical items you use in soapmaking. This is my list: scale, SB, crockpot, microwave (sometimes), oven, that's only 5, but I have seen others use multiple crockpots, heating pads, melting mats, etc. So it's better to have more than not enough electrical outlets.

I'd also want some sort of backboard with hanging capability to hang up some of my frequently used tools like you see in garages. (Think peg board with mechanics tools hanging up.)

Another option for storage is a rolling mechanics tool chest. You have storage below and several drawers to keep various equipment. It's sort of portable and moveable for cleaning underneath. Like this:
sky2521lrg-1_18b1bae0-f09d-406d-8a4f-5159e6bec391_1024x1024.jpg

As someone who has recently built a house, I regret not getting a cheap dishwasher just for the soaping stuff. All that cleanup gets old real fast. So I suggest the dishwasher in addition to the sink.

Where will you be curing soap? Will the garage be finished? Our unfinished garage gets VERY cold in the winter, and hubby didn’t want to finish it, so I can’t soap there. If you have a finished garage, or if you’re in a climate where that won’t matter, think about a vent/exhaust near your soaping area. Not only does it help with air circulation when working with lye, it also helps keep the husband from complaining that the house and everything in it smells of perfume/FO.

Under-counter space is great, but so is shelving and overhead. You’ll need a lot of shelves! Get a quote, or IKEA it, doesn’t matter which.

A sink and good ventilation for sure. I would love a bigger table that is sturdy enough to pound the molds on. As much storage as you can cram in there - it's amazing how much stuff accumulates between the curing soap, the cured soap, the equipment, the oils and (in my case :oops:) the fragrance oils.

I am in the midst of building a dedicated soap house/art studio. I'm a super slow builder, so it's a sloooooow process, allowing me lots of time to think and re-think.

Important things for soaping, to me:

- a deep sink with a sprayer head

- a generous amount of counter-top space that is easy to clean and is resistant to staining, unless you like that look, which is also cool. My current worktop in my current make-do soap house is rough stone tile, and it's a ***** to wipe down. Don't do that.

- storage for EO bottles tubs of oil and colorants and mixing bowls and packaging and aaaallll the other equipment...

- good lighting, as noted above

- a dorm-sized fridge, and an apartment-sized dishwasher, as previously mentioned

- curing racks

- temperature control

For clarity, the asterisks above denote the correct term for a female canine.

A few years ago we did just what you’ve described. Built an addition with an extra deep 2 car garage and my lab (soap studio) is a complete room at the back. I do sell so really needed a dedicated space. We included a deep sink, dishwasher on clearance from Lowe’s. Counters and lower cabinets were free from a gas station (the food area) that moved. We also got (from the same place) a 5 or 6 ft tall bread rack with all the trays that slide in and out for soap curing. I line the trays with butcher paper so there’s no direct metal to soap contact. Got an old oven from a friend and when I’m not using the cook top I made a nice board that covers it to create more work space. My husband did put in the external vent range hood thing so I can mix my lye on the stove top and it vents outside. All the vertical space is open shelving and there still isn’t enough! On one wall we used the open stud space so it is drywall on the back side only, and built shelves for all my FO’s. I keep my EO’s in a medicine cabinet (dark) or in our old fridge that’s in the garage. Could have used a floor drain a time or two, but the concrete floor is easy enough to clean. Could still use a couple more outlets, and always want more counter space or just space in general so if you can...go bigger than you think you’ll need [emoji16]

First, congratulation!! Second, I'm sooo jealous. Third, I would suggest a dedicated "small" full size refrigerator instead of dorm size (I found a used one for $50.00). I found the dorm size didn't accomodate larger bottles of oils well and you will be surprised at how much you use the freezer, especially if you use silicone molds.

Still jealous, but very happy for you. :)

Thanks everyone!! I’ve been reading but haven’t gotten onto my computer to type a proper reply yet!
I’m sure I will run out of space no matter what. Currently my storage works ok it’s just that it is in an upstairs bedroom so I have to lug everything downstairs to soap, take over the kitchen and then clean up in time for the next meal... such a hassle.

Gini, nothing to be jealous of yet - I have to convince my partner soooo I’m currently just dreaming :think:

A small refrigerator might not be a bad idea, and keep your oils in cold storage. A dorm sized one could easily go under a counter, or an apartment size one at the end if you keep a lot of oils on hand.

I'd highly suggest doing TWO stretches of work surface, parallel to each other and set up so you move between them normally when working in the area. Flat work surface is something you can never have too much of.

Good ideas - I hadn't thought of a fridge, or even about powerpoints!!
I wouldn't have the room for two parallel surfaces permanently, but I could probably get a large trolley bench that I can wheel in and out of position. :)

Another possibility is, since you're talking about building a house, is include a 'mother-in-law's apartment'. Basically a small studio apartment setup that's essentially separate from the rest of the house, or at least has its own entrance. That leaves the garage to him, and gives you a handy out of the way (air conditioned!) studio for making and curing your soap.

I wish... not an option at this stage! Something I daydream about though - "let's build a granny flat" - as they're known in Australia -"for our parents... but in the meantime it will be where I run my soaping empire from."
(Yes, in this daydream I have a soaping empire. Cause if I'm daydreaming, why not?)

Those with sinks/laundry tubs - do you think a double sink would be better?

Earlene, I would definitely get a tall faucet or possibly wall mounted (often the laundry tub sinks are mounted on the wall).
Any advice for how to work out the correct bench height for my height?

I was thinking of a pegboard. Or lots of shelves. The rolling tool chest looks like it would be helpful too!!

Where will you be curing soap? Will the garage be finished? Our unfinished garage gets VERY cold in the winter, and hubby didn’t want to finish it, so I can’t soap there. If you have a finished garage, or if you’re in a climate where that won’t matter, think about a vent/exhaust near your soaping area. Not only does it help with air circulation when working with lye, it also helps keep the husband from complaining that the house and everything in it smells of perfume/FO.

ummm I don't know if it will be finished or not? I'm not sure what the usual is in Australia, but that's what we will be getting... however, being Qld, Australia, it won't get too cold in the winter. I will definitely look at my ventilation options - there will be a window in there, and I guess the rest depends on the layout/configuration we end up going with.

Got an old oven from a friend and when I’m not using the cook top I made a nice board that covers it to create more work space... On one wall we used the open stud space so it is drywall on the back side only, and built shelves for all my FO’s.

Love these ideas! And I wonder if there's a website where I can keep an eye out for places closing down/refurbishing...
In my area there are a lot of restaurants, and some don't last long but I've never seen them advertising a closing sale type thing... I might have to ask my chef cousin.

Could still use a couple more outlets, and always want more counter space or just space in general so if you can...go bigger than you think you’ll need

"Needing more space" always seems like a problem! But having just seen the quote for when my friend built her house and got a 'workshop' added to the garage (an extra metre of space down one side) I am extremely concerned I won't be able to get this space!! It will definitely be a hard sell. (we are also planning on building a family sized home, but don't have kids (at this stage) so I will probably just be told to use a spare bedroom :cry: not the same as a concreted space where I can make a mess).

"Needing more space" always seems like a problem! But having just seen the quote for when my friend built her house and got a 'workshop' added to the garage (an extra metre of space down one side) I am extremely concerned I won't be able to get this space!! It will definitely be a hard sell. (we are also planning on building a family sized home, but don't have kids (at this stage) so I will probably just be told to use a spare bedroom :cry: not the same as a concreted space where I can make a mess).

You might find it cheaper to make a huge laundry, instead of a separate area in the garage. The laundry already has sink, floor waste, powerpoints, tiled floors etc. You can make it twice the size for a lot less than duplicating all the rest.

Also as someone else mentioned garages are not generally as temperature stable as a room in the house. They fluctuate from cold to hot and they are dusty. In QLD in the summer you are going to have to be careful with the heat. It might be easier to do this in the laundry.

Tell DH using the laundry will keep all the wet soap in a contained area and you won't tramp it through carpeted bedrooms.

Could end up being cheaper... I will investigate.
Advantage (in my mind) of extending the garage is that we can just have the space put in, and plumbing and electrical points put in the build the bench etc later on. In the laundry, as it will be functioning as a laundry, I would want all the benches put in straight away. And it may cost extra expanding laundry vs garage given they will be tiling the laundry floor. BUT it’s somethinf I hadn’t thought of and I will check the cost of one vs the other :)

If it were me, I would have them build the long bench with a double sink, with a sprayer. I would also have them put a professional grade vent hood over the bench, (One that will pull a tissue up to it and hold it there.), so that you don't have to open windows. I would put lots of shelves or cabinets under it. I would have a stainless steel top on it for easy cleanup. Add the refrigerator. Lots of outlets for crockpots, stickblenders, microwaves, etc. You should be able to find cheap appliances at a repair shop. Add the dishwasher. If you are dreaming, dream big!

Could end up being cheaper... I will investigate.
Advantage (in my mind) of extending the garage is that we can just have the space put in, and plumbing and electrical points put in the build the bench etc later on. In the laundry, as it will be functioning as a laundry, I would want all the benches put in straight away. And it may cost extra expanding laundry vs garage given they will be tiling the laundry floor. BUT it’s somethinf I hadn’t thought of and I will check the cost of one vs the other :)

Definitely will be cheaper as you'll have to put all the plumbing and power in as you build the new garage. Tiling is nothing compared to extra plumbing and power.
If using the laundry think about planning it with cupboards but temporarily having just open shelves and putting doors on later. The colour will be the same and this is easy for a kitchen contractor.

If you have a front loader machine stack the dryer. If you have a top loader hang the dryer. Have a sink built into the bench - so much nicer. You really really don't need SS benchtops. Laminate is great these days - very durable against lye.
Plan space for a fridge etc and/or just leave extra wall space and if you don't need/want it you can have more cupboards put in with the doors later.
As long as the kitchen guys have a bit to do the cost later won't be prohibitive. I mean 1 door would be relatively expensive but 8 would be reasonable.

To expand the laundry ask about a pop-out maybe in timber frame and timber clad rather than brick. Tell them to think-how can I do this cheaply.

If you are going with a builder this is easy and cost effective. If you're going with a project builder try to change the minimum and talk to the kitchen fitout guys (they do the laundry fitout too) only. Have them do the extra work after the build.

BTW I am an Architect and have just finished building (owner builder - don't do that!) our own house.

Last edited:
Ooooh thanks for that advice! So helpful finding people who have done it (a build) before.
A lot of plans we have looked at have the laundry immediately behind the garage, which makes it easy to add the space there - I was imagining the workspace at the back of the garage.
I will keep this thread updated however it will be a loooong time before anything happens.

sinks/laundry tubs - do you think a double sink would be better?

Earlene, I would definitely get a tall faucet or possibly wall mounted (often the laundry tub sinks are mounted on the wall).
Any advice for how to work out the correct bench height for my height?

I was thinking of a pegboard. Or lots of shelves. The rolling tool chest looks like it would be helpful too!!

I prefer a double sink. Besides mixing my lye in the sink (container sits in the sink), for me it is very useful to have two sides available.

Water faucet heiht should be to have clearance for your tallest possible container.

For bench /workable height, depending on how tall you are and the condition of your back, etc. you can stand at different heights of tables/benches and make a soap that requires a lot of time stirring, then an intricate pour that takes more time and determine which height is most comfortable for you. I used to live in a house wherein the kitchen was designed for someone at least 4 inches shorter than me and it was very hard on my back to do the dishes. So I never used the countertop/bench for food prep. I had a friend build me a sideboard where I could comfortably do food prep. The various heights of worktops might be something you could look at in a nearby store that specializes in kitchen remodels.

All you really MUST have is a workspace with good light, an outlet for a stickblender/microwave, some shelves for your stuff, and a good work surface. For a while I used a 6x8 foot folding table and it was fine.

Now I have a basement studio with a large 4x6ft standup workbench on casters, a sit-down desk with a computer and counter area, although I don't have a sink in the basement. I still have to haul the dirty stuff up to the kitchen to wash it. I do have a floor drain, but I don't use it.

What I really need now is wire shelving to cure my soap on. Currently it's just scattered around all over the place.

Nice to have: a deep sink with a spray head, good ventilation, a dedicated microwave, dishwasher.

I do apologize in advance, I am very tired and new to the forums and don’t know if there is a way to search in the app for keywords to see if someone already said this but if you look at area auctions then there is a good chance of finding used stainless steel sinks, prep areas with built in fridge or just plain work areas with a “shelf that sits up off the ground that you can put your own storage units into or load in boxes of bulk ingredients. I see them all the time in my area and they go for cheap and I wanted to pass it along because I’d rather see them repurposed than go to a scrap yards. If you message me your area I can try to see what I can find around you to help put you in the right direction. I did see other people mention electrical outlets and lighting and those are definitely musts!! I hope what I’ve shared is helpful...

Latest posts

Back