I'm totally in a quandry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Amazon.com & they're free shipping for orders $40 & up. My suggestion​is that you do a search there for whichever scale you decide to purchase & see if you can't get it for less.

I don't have the receipt anymore ...:cry:
and I think the place I got it has gone out of business...
so basically I have to try to re-weigh everything a couple times and try to figure out how much lye to put in, and scrap the scale and look for something else..
The scale has been plugged into the wall, and doesn't have batteries inside....

Also, I'd recommend getting a 1kg total set of calibration weights. It's not enough to actually calibrate the big scales, but it does give you a pretty good idea of if your scale is being accurate or not.
Good advice! But, frugal ole me, I use butter quarters to callibrate when needed, and if we have a full pound of butter on hand. One stick for 4 oz. two for 8 oz. three ... and so on. Highly technical, doncha know. :mrgreen:

Good advice! But, frugal ole me, I use butter quarters to callibrate when needed, and if we have a full pound of butter on hand. One stick for 4 oz. two for 8 oz. three ... and so on. Highly technical, doncha know. :mrgreen:

My weight set cost around $10, and has weights from 10g up to 500g. Bit more flexible than butter quarters. :mrgreen:

Smack Laugh.gif Thanks for the giggle!

I don't have the receipt anymore ...:cry:
and I think the place I got it has gone out of business...
so basically I have to try to re-weigh everything a couple times and try to figure out how much lye to put in, and scrap the scale and look for something else.. The scale has been plugged into the wall, and doesn't have batteries inside....
1) You haven't mentioned the brand of your scale. Care to share?
2) Go back thru this thread and click on the links members posted. Find something you like, that suits your budget, and go for it. There's really no sense hanging on to a scale when it's not doing its job and there's no way to return it -- unless, of course, you contact the manufacturer directly -- who knows, you might luck out! Stranger things have happened.

If you do a search on google for old will knott scales coupons, I believe you will find one for free shipping. I used it when I purchased my scale and saved $20 or so.

Last edited:

I wouldn't waste my money on any calibration weights. I agree with Zaney about using known weights such as a US nickel weighs exactly 5 grams.

I don't go to craft fairs anymore or sell my soap on etsy because of the crowded market. Now I make soap mostly for family and friends. I do sell a few bars by word of mouth. If you are new to selling, just consider the expense of liability insurance, other expenses and the crowded market. I sell handmade greeting cards on etsy; but I no long sell my soap there.

I am definitely looking for a new scale as soon as I get a few $
I am not saying Dymo can't make a good scale, its just this one has been a "pain" from the time I got it, and I finally have had enough..
I was reading a few reviews of this scale, think it might have been amazon, not sure, and it was definitely given a thumbs down..

I have sat an empty bowl on the scale and "tared" it to 0.0 and walked away, when I came back it said the bowl weighed several pounds. that bowl is very light and only weighs oz no where near what the scale said it weighed. it is "glitchy".
I think if my memory is correct this scale is supposed to weigh up to 60#.
My first look online at a lot of the digital scale out there only weigh to a max of 11 pounds..
Need a scale that weighs a whole lot more than that, and something that is reasonably priced..
Anyone have any ideas??
thanks..

I have sat an empty bowl on the scale and "tared" it to 0.0 and walked away, when I came back it said the bowl weighed several pounds. that bowl is very light and only weighs oz no where near what the scale said it weighed. it is "glitchy".
I think if my memory is correct this scale is supposed to weigh up to 60#.
My first look online at a lot of the digital scale out there only weigh to a max of 11 pounds..
Need a scale that weighs a whole lot more than that, and something that is reasonably priced..
Anyone have any ideas??
thanks..

Your current scale is completely unsuitable for use as anything other than a doorstop. Junk it and get something reliable.

Do you know if the the "oldwillknottscales." are sold in Canada? HOw about the Brecknell scales, are they any good??
Thanks..

Not sure if Old Will Knot Scales ship to Canada or not, but they are located in the Denver-Metro area of Colorado (actually only about 20 miles west of me so will have to check out their B&M)
I will be right next door to them on Saturday, and I can pop in if they are open and ask.

has anyone out there used a CWT7 -15 from western scale?
can't seem to find any reviews out there about it.. seems to be what I am looking for, and the help from the company seems to be pretty good..
Thanks.

Back