Lining a mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna75126

Reaction score
Are there any sites that are good on how to line a mold? I just cannot seem to get it down. I line with freezer paper and it is very hard to get it smooth. I have not invested in any kind of wood mold. I have just been using what I had on hand. I wanted to make sure I liked soaping before I invested in a mold.. I also want to know how to get your soaps to come out all nice and even.

First, cut a template thin piece of cardboard to the exact size of the inside of your mold bottom.

Lay it on a large piece of freezer paper and fold two opposite sides up and crease. Then fold the two end sides up and crease as well. So you've "wrapped" the template.

drop the wrapped template into your mold.

unfold the end flaps up against the inside of the mold, then the other two side. At the corners where you have an extra flap, just crease that tightly against the side of the mold.

slit the corners and fold the excess out and tape to the sides of the mold if you'd like (I always do).

then grab out the template from the bottom (obnoxiously difficult, so maybe use a loop of tape or something).

it's not that hard, really. I wish I could find the instructions I originally got from Misty Creek.

Someone from this forum shared this link with me. I watched the video once and use this method every time. This is very, very, very easy!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI[/ame]

I do what carebare said. I also taped another little piece of cardboard on top to make a "handle" to make pulling it out easier. The sides are pretty smooth and only corners might get a bit crinkly, but not enough to bother me.

First, cut a template thin piece of cardboard to the exact size of the inside of your mold bottom.

Lay it on a large piece of freezer paper and fold two opposite sides up and crease. Then fold the two end sides up and crease as well. So you've "wrapped" the template.

drop the wrapped template into your mold.

unfold the end flaps up against the inside of the mold, then the other two side. At the corners where you have an extra flap, just crease that tightly against the side of the mold.

slit the corners and fold the excess out and tape to the sides of the mold if you'd like (I always do).

then grab out the template from the bottom (obnoxiously difficult, so maybe use a loop of tape or something).

it's not that hard, really. I wish I could find the instructions I originally got from Misty Creek.

never thought of that :!:

Ljsm86 said:
tkhaney1 said:
.....do you have to line it at all? Do you use a bread size silicone pan?

http://bebecollection.com/lf01-loaf-mold

I just got a few of these in the mail today. Quite a few people rave about them. They each make 8 regular sized bars of soap. I actually just poured a CP batch into one about ten minutes ago, so I'll let you know later how it turns out :)

edit: No you don't have to line them.

Forget lining. Buy a PVC pipe, cut into a practical length and oil it with baby oil before pouring in your soap batch.

I LOOOVE my PVC pipe now after just a couple of batches. No lining involved and just very practical! I had one batch where I didn't oil the inside and that was a pain to get the soap out. The second time, used baby oil and it was easy. I should have thought of using PVC from the beginning. :x

Is it necessary to line a wooden mold that has been painted with a high gloss paint? Would that work?

I use OO to line my plastic molds and don't line my silicone mold at all, just pop the soap out.

I wouldn't use a high gloss paint for a mold. There is no lead in the paint but who knows what else is in that paint that could react at the caustic pH of the raw soap.

donna75126 said:
Does the oil stay on the soap?

Once you get the soap out of the PVC mold, there is a fine coating of oil on the soap. You just wipe that away and all is good :D

I just lay the paper in the mold (as best I can when it's so curly) and I make a crease along the side with my fingernail then repeat on other side. For the short ends I cut a piece of paper for each to fit under the main piece and that way none touches the wood and would stick to it. If the very ends of the slab are wrinkly it's okay because I cut them off

Back