What Do You Do With Your Soap Scraps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnightstorm

Reaction score
A couple of questions about what to do with soap scraps:

• Should soap scraps be kept in an airtight container?
    Can glycerin MP scraps be added to CP soap scraps to make something new?
    Do soap scraps need to be rebatched to be used again?
    Do I need to add anything (water?) to my soap scraps if I want to re-use them?
    What do you do with your soap scraps?

I use them in several ways - put them in a netting bag to use in the shower, roll them into soap balls, make a sugar scrub with them, or add them to another batch.

I like making sugar scrub cubes but I've only done that with new melt & pour cubes. Can CP soap scraps be used to make sugar scrub cubes? Do I melt the CP scraps in the microwave? Do I add water or anything?

Midnightstorm said:
I like making sugar scrub cubes but I've only done that with new melt & pour cubes. Can CP soap scraps be used to make sugar scrub cubes? Do I melt the CP scraps in the microwave? Do I add water or anything?
Search for sugar scrub cubes. There is a recipe on this forum.

Midnightstorm said:
A couple of questions about what to do with soap scraps:

Should soap scraps be kept in an airtight container?

If the scraps are CP, I wouldn't put them in an airtight container. They need to be able to breathe or else they might spoil.

Midnightstorm said:
Can glycerin MP scraps be added to CP soap scraps to make something new?

Yes. I've done this many times.

Midnightstorm said:
Do soap scraps need to be rebatched to be used again?

It depends on what you want to do with them. You can incorporate them 'as is' into another batch of soap for a confetti look, or you can press them 'as is' into soap balls, or throw them 'as is' into a netting bag to use in the shower as ewenique mentioned, etc.... I would venture to say that the only time you would need to rebatch them is if you want to make a whole new batch of soap that you could mold and cut into bars by using absolutely nothing but your scraps.

Midnightstorm said:
Do I need to add anything (water?) to my soap scraps if I want to re-use them?

It depends on how you are going to re-use them and how old they are. If you are going to melt them all down for a rebatch, then yes, you may need some water depending on how old or new the scraps are. If you are just going to use them as decorative confetti in another batch, then no water is necessary. If you are going to make soap balls out of scraps that are older and really dry, then you may need to add some water and maybe a tiny bit of heat to soften them up for shaping and adhering together.

Midnightstorm said:
What do you do with your soap scraps?

I either use them as decorative confetti in other batches, or sometimes I press them into small, guest-sized bars (perfect for washing hands at the sink) when the scraps are fresh from my beveler, or else I fill a netting bag with them and use in the shower to scrub my feet.

IrishLass :)

Wow! Great information. I'm inspired enough that I'm going to try to chop and add my scraps to a batch of CP today. If they turn out well, I'll have to figure out how to post pics on this forum.

Often I make sugar scrubs from them, or, grate them up finely and spread out on cookie sheets and leave them up in the closet for some months, then run them through my coffee grinder until they are a fine powder. They can be incorporated into any batch this way.

My last resort is rebatching with milk or water and repouring. Unless I have lots of lard in the original recipe it doesn't seem to work well.

Back