I am finding that less can be more

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I have this one soap where the recipe is well proportioned and all I add is milk and 1 unblended scent and it's just delightful (3 times now). Always turns out. But recipes I do a lot with are the ones where I'm most likely to forget something or not do it just so because I'm busy watching for trace and how much more can I stickblend or not to get it poured nicely. I don't think you have to add everything but the kitchen sink to a batch unless it's fun or makes it turn out that much better.

I even think soap with no scent, no millk, no color or additives at all can be just great. :)

I agree with you. I have tried several complicated recipes, and sometimes they come out OK, but the simple ones come out great, and they're so much easier.

I agree too. My favorite recipe is a bastile that I make with EVOO, pomace, castor & coconut oil. No scent or color. I once added cream & my favorite FO. It came out very nice but I still prefer the plain version.

I've recently developed an appreciation for plain, unscented soap. One of my sisters asked me to make her a batch of unscented soap. She didn't take all of it and I set the remaining bars aside and "forgot" about them, kwim? I decided I should start using them so took one to use. I was surprised by how much I liked it since I'm a big fragrance fan. :wink:

Over the past few months, I have started limiting the oils that I use. I would hear about how great certain oils were and then I would rush out to buy them to try them in a recipe and it would never come out the way I wanted. I have now started limiting myself to 3 recipes that I have are tried and true. I normally always soap with Olive, Coconut, Palm Kernels, Castor and Shea Butter. I have recently tried a few recipes with Lard and love it.

Too many options out there and things are way too expensive to be wasting!

I gotta do the KISS method more. :lol: I have a recipe I planned to be a little larger since it won't have the usual oz of scent. I think there will be enough people among my small audience to like it.

Back