Lotion not Cream?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjon

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with my recipe? I am trying to make a lotion and every time it's way too thick (more of a hand cream consistency). I love this recipe but I want it to be thinner to be able to pump it out of a container or even squeeze it out. Right now I can only use my fingers to get it out, it's just that thick. Here goes........

1 1/4 C HOT WATER
1/4 C EWAX
1/4 C OLIVE OIL (MEMBER'S MARK BRAND FROM SAM'S)
.14 OZ GERMABEN II E AS A PRESERVATIVE

I GOT THIS RECIPE OFF A WEBSITE A WHILE AGO I JUST CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE..........

Your formula comes out about like this
hot water 45%
e wax 45%
olive oil10%

This is way too much e wax.
The e wax is turning it into a cream.

I would more likely try
water 74%
olive oil 20%
e wax 5%
preservative 1%

Here might be a better recipe to try for 8 oz of lotion.

6 ounces of water
1.5 ounce olive oil
.4 ounce e wax
.1 ounce preservative

Yes, I know this is not the exact % I gave. But I rounded it off the best I could.

Another suggestion-measure by weight, not volume. The products turn out much better. Tweak the recipe to your liking. If it is too oily, add more water and less oil. If the product is too thick or thin, change the e wax amount. You can also sub goatrs milk aloe vera gel, etc.. for some of the water. the type of oil(s) you use can also be changed.

you can rebatch some you have already made as well... just add a bit more oil and or water :)

metle it back down gently and stir it up and itll cool just like normal :)

Thank you so much to everyone that responded to my lotion question. I had no idea people cared about whether or not MY lotion turned out good but everyone here always help out. I will take the advice of everyone and see what works best for me. This is why I love this forum.------God bless all!

IanT said:
you can rebatch some you have already made as well... just add a bit more oil and or water :)

Remember that you'll need to add more preservative-1% of the extra.:wink:

I did this with a conditioner I made that turned out thick as thick,I add water to thin it to squirty bottle consistency.Worked really well,but I won't be running out of conditioner for a veeeery long time!:shock: :)

gekko62 said:
IanT said:

I did this with a conditioner I made that turned out thick as thick,I add water to thin it to squirty bottle consistency.Worked really well,but I won't be running out of conditioner for a veeeery long time!:shock: :)

Yes yes gooooood point! :)

I want to make some conditioner!! got any noob tips!?? pm me pleeeease!!

IanT said:
gekko62 said:
IanT said:

Yes yes gooooood point! :)

I want to make some conditioner!! got any noob tips!?? pm me pleeeease!!

HA...I am a newbie myself Ian,2 batches of conditioner under my belt. :) Best tip I can offer anyone is to check out swifts blog.The woman is a wonder and has the incredible knack of explaining complex,confusing stuff in a way we unenlightened can wrap the grey matter around...

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... ioner.html

BTMS is the wonder ingredient but be warned...the 7% will give you scoopable consistency. Have fun! :wink:

Back