Lotion Testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
I've only made a couple of batches of lotion so far, but I'm wondering...what things should I be doing to "test" my lotions for safety/efficiency of preservative? Are there any conditions that are likely to expose any defects in the recipe/process?
I have been making an extra bottle of lotion each batch which I have labelled with a description & the date made. So far, they've just been sitting in my cabinet. Should I be doing something with them?
I'd like to give some to friends & family but I'm not sure when it's safe to do so.

I use these kits and would not be without them. You simply cannot tell by looking at a lotion. For me these are indispensable. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/microbial-test-kit-4_pack-lotioncrafter.html I have a lotion I have had on the shelf since February. It looks beautiful, smells fine and I just tested it, low and behold it grew mold. Certainly glad it never went to market

So, in terms of gift-giving and/or selling (which I am not even close to doing...), do you wait until you've tested the lotion a certain number of times before giving it away? Until you've made the recipe a certain number of times?
I'm just trying to figure out how you know when it's ok to share lotion products.I'm not in a huge hurry, but...I'm already running out of cabinet space.:)

I'm struggling with understanding this too. Carolyn, do you wait six months and only after that sell (or in my case give it away)? Do you then put a use by date on it? I am unclear about how long a preservative will work, maybe, but I thought shelf life is about a year. I guess that is based on premade base that I have bought and fragranced, and there are at least two family members that I have learned have been 'hoarding' their lotions because they are too 'special' to use up (please, people I can give you more). I found out one is 5 years old. I've given her new, fresh bottles of the same and told her to get rid of any old lotion she has. But she didn't.

I'm struggling with understanding this too. Carolyn, do you wait six months and only after that sell (or in my case give it away)? Do you then put a use by date on it? I am unclear about how long a preservative will work, maybe, but I thought shelf life is about a year. I guess that is based on premade base that I have bought and fragranced, and there are at least two family members that I have learned have been 'hoarding' their lotions because they are too 'special' to use up (please, people I can give you more). I found out one is 5 years old. I've given her new, fresh bottles of the same and told her to get rid of any old lotion she has. But she didn't.
I do not take them to market until I know they are safe, which is why I make small test batches. One of my lotions that we have made for 7 yrs we took to market after having it tested. From what I remember we sent in two samples one a new batch and one 6 months later. We then followed up in 2 yrs and sent in another sample from a new batch. I want a shelf life of at least a year. I forgot to mention I will jar up one sample and put the rest in a container that I will open often. The lotion I am having trouble with appears to have shelf life of 6 months which is unacceptable to me. The test sample in the jar, that was just opened to test is not showing mold, it is the container that is a wider mouth deli and opened quite often that grew the mold. I am very paranoid about lotions so spend a lot of time and money on them. With my severe eczema I certainly do not want to use a buggy or moldy lotion on an open lesion or skin with abrasions.

The good thing about pre-made bases is the company manufacturing them should have a full working test lab in house. At least the larger companies. I see people selling handmade lotions by the gallon they make at home and I would not ever buy it

You could always use a test kit and test the one of the lotions that is being horded :)

I do not take them to market until I know they are safe, which is why I make small test batches. One of my lotions that we have made for 7 yrs we took to market after having it tested. From what I remember we sent in two samples one a new batch and one 6 months later. We then followed up in 2 yrs and sent in another sample from a new batch. I want a shelf life of at least a year. I forgot to mention I will jar up one sample and put the rest in a container that I will open often. The lotion I am having trouble with appears to have shelf life of 6 months which is unacceptable to me. The test sample in the jar, that was just opened to test is not showing mold, it is the container that is a wider mouth deli and opened quite often that grew the mold. I am very paranoid about lotions so spend a lot of time and money on them. With my severe eczema I certainly do not want to use a buggy or moldy lotion on an open lesion or skin with abrasions.

The good thing about pre-made bases is the company manufacturing them should have a full working test lab in house. At least the larger companies. I see people selling handmade lotions by the gallon they make at home and I would not ever buy it

You could always use a test kit and test the one of the lotions that is being horded :)

LOL, I should do a test on her old lotion and either be relieved that it is still safe, or show her the ugly results. Honestly, there is about .5 ounce left in the oldest bottle, and I have given her multiple fresh ones that are now growing older by the day. She's 86, and I can't seem to make her understand that it's not a waste to toss what is certainly past it's prime.

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you make a small test batch. Once you are satisfied that the formula is good you go ahead and make a larger batch and don't wait 6 months to sell it? I'm only starting to dabble in lotion making, will never sell it, but would like to be able to comfortably share it with friends and family. Otherwise, I'll just play with little bits for myself and DIL and stick with premade bases for gifting to others.

LOL, I should do a test on her old lotion and either be relieved that it is still safe, or show her the ugly results. Honestly, there is about .5 ounce left in the oldest bottle, and I have given her multiple fresh ones that are now growing older by the day. She's 86, and I can't seem to make her understand that it's not a waste to toss what is certainly past it's prime.

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you make a small test batch. Once you are satisfied that the formula is good you go ahead and make a larger batch and don't wait 6 months to sell it? I'm only starting to dabble in lotion making, will never sell it, but would like to be able to comfortably share it with friends and family. Otherwise, I'll just play with little bits for myself and DIL and stick with premade bases for gifting to others.

Keep it simple and leave out all the proteins you and stay away from infusing oils and you will be fine. Lotion is fun to make. I two that test fine regularly are not simple lotions.

I still do not sell it until it goes out to a lab for challenge testing taking it to market. I just have to be uber careful for one other reason besides my skin problems, I sell at a Kaiser Hospital to a lot of patients under chemo. With their severely compromised immune system you do not want to sell anything with active bacteria. Hence my long journey to get a lotion to market :)

Keep it simple and leave out all the proteins you and stay away from infusing oils and you will be fine. Lotion is fun to make. I two that test fine regularly are not simple lotions.

I still do not sell it until it goes out to a lab for challenge testing taking it to market. I just have to be uber careful for one other reason besides my skin problems, I sell at a Kaiser Hospital to a lot of patients under chemo. With their severely compromised immune system you do not want to sell anything with active bacteria. Hence my long journey to get a lotion to market :)

Thank you. I feel better about sharing now.

Back