50lb bag of lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do something similar as is mentioned above re: transferring and storing in a tightly sealed 5 gallon bucket. The only difference being that I measure in 4 pound increments and put those into doubled Ziploc bags - which then go into the sealed bucket. This way when I am ready to masterbatch a new batch of lye I don't have to scoop it out and measure it. The lye is only exposed to the air once before I am ready to use it.

For good measure it's worth repeating that I take a lot of precautions when working with a 50 pound bag of lye. I've only done this outside on a clear, dry day while wearing gloves, a mask, and goggles and clothing that covers everything.

Do you have a link for the chemical warehouse you purchase these 50 pound bags from?

Yes, I do. It is Cascade Columbia. I buy sodium hydroxide for .66/lb from them. They charge $1.02/lb for potassium hydroxide. They are about 300 miles from me, so I try to buy enough to last 6 months at a time. They charge a $25 fee every time you place an order, so that is an additional cost. My orders are pretty large, though, so it gets spread out. I also try to organize with other soapers to help offset the trip and the $25 charge because I am cheap! I go to Liberty Natural for oils on the same trip, so it works out. Cascade Columbia is in Portland, Oregon and they have a location in Seattle, Washington. Kathy Fast is the person to speak to if you want to order from the Portland warehouse. You do need a tax ID number. They will ship as well, it is just less expensive for me to go get it. Nice people, really easy to work with. I purchase citric acid from them for bath bombs too.

http://www.cascadecolumbia.com/

I purchase lye in 50 lb bags all the time from a chemical warehouse. My bags are a heavy paper with a plastic liner in them. I have a "lye bucket" that is a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid that I purchased for it. You can buy the lids at Home Depot. They come with a rim and the lid. You hammer the rim down onto the bucket, and then the lid just screws on and off. An entire 50 lb bag of lye will fit into a 5 gallon bucket. When my bucket is empty, I take it out to my porch and pour a new bag into it. I have a stainless steel scoop that I leave in the bucket, and when I need lye, I just scoop some out into the bowl I am weighing it in. Easy storage and easy use all in one. Here is a link to that lid. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Screw-Top-Lid-5GAMMA6/203205720

Ditto. I buy my lye in 50 lb bags. Usually 5 bags at a time. When I need more I just dump a bag in a 5 gallon bucket. I have two garbage bags. The inside one I close and then put my lye measuring cup inside the second. Close second bag and out on lid. No moisture problems at all.

Also. Those of you buying your lye online check locally. Call Janitorial cleaning supplies. They can order a 50# bag of PELS sodium hydroxide for a very cheap price. I pay $40 for each bag. Plus no shipping costs.

Latest posts

Back