First Recipe - Superfat Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedKris

Reaction score
Ok here's my recipe. My FIRST ever creating my own. I have been using Bramble Berry quick mixes. I love them but decided it was time to try my own ideas/choices of oils. I have Apricot Kernel Oil and I love it so I'd like to use it. I came up with this:
AKO 6% 1.74oz
Castor Oil 8% 2.32oz
Coco oil 25% 7.25oz
Lard 25% 7.25oz
Olive Oil, Virgin 36% 10.44oz

Now, I'm trying to get a handle on superfatting and best I can tell, I add some more of whatever oil I want to use to superfat. I have like an oz of Kukui Nut oil or I can add more of any of above or I saw sunflower oil at my local store and thought I could grab that if y'all felt it was necessary to use a different oil. Am I right on superfat? Just add more oil beyond what recipe calls for at whatever percent I chose. So if I chose 4% superfat for this recipe and the oils amount to 29oz, then I add 1.16oz of my superfat oil, right? This makes e nervous lol. So any help on this topic or even on my recipe is appreciated. I'd love to make this tomorrow. I have so loved making the recipes with the BB kit and their quick mixes but I feel like I need this to expand my knowledge. I want to make great soap so I hope y'all will help this newbie. Thanks! Kris

I ran thru soapcalc and got this... Screenshot_20171201-230304.png

Are you doing CP or HP? I can't help with HP, because I don't do it, and I don't know if the superfat oils added after the cook are reserved from the batch or additional.

If you are doing CP, your 4% superfat is calculated already. You wouldn't add more oil to that. You really can't choose a specific oil for superfat in CP soap. HTH, and good luck!

Are you doing CP or HP? I can't help with HP, because I don't do it, and I don't know if the superfat oils added after the cook are reserved from the batch or additional.

If you are doing CP, your 4% superfat is calculated already. You wouldn't add more oil to that. You really can't choose a specific oil for superfat in CP soap. HTH, and good luck!
I'm doing CP. And OK now I get it! Ugh. Idk why I had the hardest time understanding superfat. I have fibromyalgia and sometimes I just don't see things that are plainly obvious to all around me. Lol. So I just go with the recipe and move on. I'm so excited to try this recipe. I love apricot kernel oil. It just loves my skin so I'm dying to try it in CP soap. Ty am for ur quick response! I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

I'm doing CP. And OK now I get it! Ugh. Idk why I had the hardest time understanding superfat. I have fibromyalgia and sometimes I just don't see things that are plainly obvious to all around me. Lol. So I just go with the recipe and move on. I'm so excited to try this recipe. I love apricot kernel oil. It just loves my skin so I'm dying to try it in CP soap. Ty am for ur quick response! I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

I love almond oil as well.
If I want to notice an oil in a soap I use no less than 10%.
I make a soap with 30% almond oil.
One oil I would use at 5% is castor oil. More than that tends to make a soft soap.

The rest of the recipe looks fine for a first recipe.

I love almond oil as well.
If I want to notice an oil in a soap I use no less than 10%.
I make a soap with 30% almond oil.
One oil I would use at 5% is castor oil. More than that tends to make a soft soap.

The rest of the recipe looks fine for a first recipe.
Ah, ok. So maybe I bring down castor and boost up the Apricot Kernel Oil.... I like it! Ty!

Bring your coconut oil down to no more than 15-20%. It gets very stripping at any higher percentage. Add the remainder to the lard.
Ok, I'm actually working on this recipe now so I'll plug that in! Ty!

Hi beside co down it should be a very nice bar of soap, We love lard here , :)
I don't have any vegans in my family so I thought I'd try lard. It's readily available and I wanted to soap this weekend. BB is taking forever to send my oils so I decided to improvise! Lol

Back