Need help scaling my cornbread recipe up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

I found another version of the cornbread recipe that my mother had written down in a different notebook, it was mostly the same as the one I posted earlier, with some minor changes here and there. I took this version and scaled it up by 1.5x, here's what I ended up with:

3 cups yellow corn meal
3 tblsp flour
2 eggs
3 tsp baking powder (heaping)
2 1/4 tsp salt
1 7/8 cup milk (adjust to thickness)
3/8 cup bacon grease

Preheat oven
Mix ingredients together while heating the bacon grease in 10" iron skillet almost to smoking - pour hot grease into batter leaving enough to coat bottom of skillet. Sprinkle bottom of skillet with corn meal. Mix batter well, then pour into skillet. Bake at 475 degrees until golden brown, about 30 - 35 minutes.

It turned out as close to perfect as I could hope for, it filled out the larger skillet and rose very nicely. The texture was fine, just the way it is supposed to be. This is the version I'm going to use from now on. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.
Oh, and yes, that's Jambalaya on the stove next to the cornbread. Deb doesn't like shrimp (or any seafood), so I have to do without it :cry:
Sorry for the messy stove, I tend to be a bit of a messy cook.

DSCN0419.JPG

DSCN0420.JPG

Ok. Engineer here and someone asked about volume ratios...

8" diameter skillet, and about 2" high judging from the pictures...

(8/2)^2*π*2=100.53 in^3

(10/2)^2*π*2=157.08 in^3

157.08/100.53=1.5625 or 1 9/16.

So, scaling by 1.5 is pretty close!

I know you all wanted to see math tonight! You're welcome!

Now I need to go tape my glasses and get a new pocket protector. [emoji6]

While the skillet in the photo is a #8 skillet, it is called a 10" skillet. The actual inside diameter is 10.25" at the top, tapering down to 8.75" at the bottom. The height of the walls is 2" measured on the inside.
The original recipe was written for an 8" skillet, which is a #5. Actual inside diameter is 7.75" at the top tapering down to about 6.25" at the bottom, wall height 1.75" inside. And these are just typical measurements, not all similar sized skillets were the same. The world of cast iron skillets is a little complicated.

UPDATE:

I found another version of the cornbread recipe that my mother had written down in a different notebook, it was mostly the same as the one I posted earlier, with some minor changes here and there. I took this version and scaled it up by 1.5x, here's what I ended up with:

3 cups yellow corn meal
3 tblsp flour
2 eggs
3 tsp baking powder (heaping)
2 1/4 tsp salt
1 7/8 cup milk (adjust to thickness)
3/8 cup bacon grease

Preheat oven
Mix ingredients together while heating the bacon grease in 10" iron skillet almost to smoking - pour hot grease into batter leaving enough to coat bottom of skillet. Sprinkle bottom of skillet with corn meal. Mix batter well, then pour into skillet. Bake at 475 degrees until golden brown, about 30 - 35 minutes.

It turned out as close to perfect as I could hope for, it filled out the larger skillet and rose very nicely. The texture was fine, just the way it is supposed to be. This is the version I'm going to use from now on. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.
Oh, and yes, that's Jambalaya on the stove next to the cornbread. Deb doesn't like shrimp (or any seafood), so I have to do without it :cry: Jambalya
Sorry for the messy stove, I tend to be a bit of a messy cook.
Jambalaya and gumbo go perfectly with cornbread.

I'm really glad to hear it worked out, AD! Looks really delicious -- I may have to try this. If someone is looking for a gluten free cornbread recipe that is quite good, I have one. It's made similar to AD's recipe with the hot cast iron pan being key to the rise.

Back