using a cold process recipe for hot process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapbubble

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems very basic , but can you use a CP recipe to make an HP soap? Any changes needed?

From what I understand you can. But you would want to use 38% water setting in soap calc.

I have never done HP and not sure when to add extras except for after the cook. Not clear exactly what that means but I would guess it would be after the soap island disappears. just my thoughts tho since I haven't done it.

Val

x

hi there!

i'm a c/p soaper, but you might use the search option on the top right of the page-there's a h/p tutorial somewhere on this form.

i hope these links work-not very good at this! :roll:

www.teachsoap.com/hp.html

www.soapnuts.com/snhp.html

if these don't link you, just "google" HOT PROCESS SOAPMAKING or something similar. there's a bunch of info out there.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful! :D

yes any cp recipe can be used for HP. I don't think I'd go with 38% lye solution though unless you will be using salt or SL to harden. I have done a few hp batches at a 33% lye solution, but it is very thick and a bit hard to work with at the end. Usually what I do is take the oil amount and divide by 3 to get the water amount for hp. Works great every time.

Yep- you can use any CP recipe for HP. I mostly make CP, but I also make the occasional batch of HP with my F/O's that are notorious troublemakers.

When I HP I always use the full water amount, which comes out to be a 26 or 27% lye concentration, or 38% "water as % of oil weight" on SoapCalc. I also add sodium lactate @ 1 tbsp. ppo and sugar @ 1 tbsp. ppo to my HP. This gives me a smooth, easy to pour consistency that is very close to the consistency of CP.

IrishLass :)

Oh cool, I'm pleased I discovered this thread as I was wondering the same thing at the back of my head. My crock pot is due to arrive in the next few days and I'm about to turn to the other side 8) I've heard e/o's retain there natural healing properties which is great because I just bought a lot of them :D

Back